iMac 20" font

Reaction score
I bought the new iMac 20" inch desktop. I was getting the 17" but my girlfriend said what the heck, just go all out for the big one. Now i'm having second thoughts about the size. It almost seems too big and the fonts are very small. Some applications are easily adjusted but overall, the font size is very tiny. How can this be alleviated? There doesn't seem to be a system-wide font setting. I'm tempted to return it for the 17" model although that won't cure the font problem but it seems a little more manageble for a desktop model.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Download Tinkertool to change the systems default font. (versiontracker.com)
I'd personally definitely stick with the 20"

T

topshot

You could reduce the screen resolution and sit a bit further away from your mac. This would solve both problems! Personally, I think it is just a case of getting used to a new resolution. For example, I use a 19" which took a while to get used to, but now when ever I go to a 15" monitor, it all seems really small.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Don't bother with reducing screen res:

Every monitor has a native resolution, and most things (text especially) look rubbish at other res's.

T

topshot

True, but it would still solve his problem, and if the native screen resolution is high enough, dropping a notch won't be too noticable unless he/she was doing graphics work. Your solution will also work, but can also mess up the display of programs - such as menus etc... being abbreviated, miss-matches.

I went though this whole process once with my partners father who had bought a 20" monitor. I set the resolution to the native resolution and he just couldn't read the screen - text to small, and he found the screen itself seemed rather big. At first, I set the font preferences (Windows XP). But all his programs started to look rubbish. In addition, sometimes a program would be using a smaller font, so it would be the same problem (i.e. his outlook express would have large text for everything, but the message itself would be in small text).
In the end, I set him up with 800x600 for a 1280x1024 native screen. It looked just fine (not perfect) and he was happy again.

A waste in my opinion, but it really is all about what you are happy with.

Hope you liked the brief story!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.