Boot up Problem

T

Tederikson

Old iMac 233 with Blinking question mark. Wouldn't start from CD. Apple authorized service dealer replaced the tray load and installed a new 30 Gb hard drive that had all of our data (that was NOT backed up). Upon return, AOL caused some kind of problem and got blinking question again. Dealer fixed and it worked a week or so. **** blinker came back and wouldn't boot up.

Is it true that bigger drives (more than the 4Gb original) MUST be partitioned with OS within first 8Gb? We are trying to retrieve data before doing this but Tech Tools and Norton Utilities 8.0 all say Driv, Chip, and Ram are OK and PRAM, Extensions off, re-install (both 8.5..1 and 8.1) and Desk Top rebuild do nothing. Still can't boot up.

(1) Are we faced with the partitioning, losing all files, or does anyone have a magic trick available?
(2) Shouldn't dealer have partioned?
(3) Jumper on hard drive moved is suggested by another post at Apple...?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
What version of the operating system are you running?

OP
T

Tederikson

IT was originally OS 8.1, upped to OS 8.6. Finally solved problem by losing data and re-installing clean OS 8.1 and 9.0 on two partitions, both at 4.0 Gb each so to stay under recommended 8 Gb limit. and adding two more 10Gb partitions for "stuff". Been working fine now, so I guess that the necessity for staying within the 8Gb limit is REAL.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
after rereading your post, I find that you answered my question. I am glad you resolved the problem. As for the 8 Gb partition, that is directed toward OS X.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.