help needed

Reaction score
Hi, I am using Mouse keys on and off and pressing alt 5 times is a bit slow, but I can't seem to find a way to automate it. I normally use iKey. Also the Menu Bar doesn't show the current status, only when it changes.

Anyone able to help me fix these two issues? I'm trying to do a tutorial on mouse-free music production.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Hello. I'm having trouble understanding what you're asking.

Why are you having o press the "alt" key 5 times? What are you trying to do?

Secondly, the Menu Bar when you're in what program? Finder? What do you mean by current status? What is the change that you're referring to?

Sorry, if I'm being dense, but no one else has answered either, and at this point, your thread has been viewed nearly 400 times.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
If it helps in answering the OP's question. "Mouse Keys" is a Universal Access setting that allows the keyboard or number pad to control the cursor in place of a mouse or other input device.

I'm guessing that the OP is trying to figure out a way to turn "Mouse Keys" on and off (with a single keystroke)...instead of having to hit the Alt/Option key 5 times.

- Nick

OP
F
Reaction score
Yeah, the only way to turn Mouse Keys on is to press alt 5 times which is quite slow if you are using it on and off. The accessibility shows as an icon in the top right menu bar but does not indicate if mouse keys is on or off. Only when you turn it on or off via 5 alts does it show what's happening.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
The accessibility shows as an icon in the top right menu bar but does not indicate if mouse keys is on or off. Only when you turn it on or off via 5 alts does it show what's happening.

I don't know what OS version you are running...but I'm running OS 10.7.4 on my MacBook. When I turn "Mouse Keys" on or off...I get a scrolling message in the Menu Bar that tells me if Mouse Keys is "On" or "Off".

But...this scrolling message only lasts for about 5-10 seconds...then the message stops scrolling.

- Nick

OP
F
Reaction score
yeah that's what I'm getting. I'd like a permanent status display, plus a quicker shortcut.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.