video transfer from dvd recorder to external hard disk via macbook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA 2013 Sierra
What is the fastest way to achieve this? I have searched for hours now without an answer. What cables and what converter box for the fastest way - I have about 1TB roughly of footage - at the moment - and want to do more.
Yours

C

chas_m

Many, many more details required, including what you mean by "converter box," what model this device is, what connectors you are using (or that the device has), your model of computer and its stats, all that kind of thing. Psychic Hotline we ain't.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA 2013 Sierra
Thank you for your time and comments. Sorry I generalised. The Macbook is a 2007, only data input/outputs USB 2.0 type A.I have, amongst others, a 1TB WD Mybook with miniUSB input/output. Any new 2TB I am about to buy could be different - eSata is not an option, since the laptop is old in computer terms,and I am quite happy to NOT upgrade the laptop.DVD recorders- Toshiba RDXV60KB, 320MB ,PANASONICDMR-EX83EB 500GB - OUTPUTS SCART,HDMI,RCA. Pretty standard - hence I thought no details would be required to mention in an introductory thread.
Thank you

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
jack7158 said:
Hello and thank you for your time in replying. I have emailed Grass Valley for info on the ADVC110. On reflection this is a converter analog to digital - I have a lot of the footage on digital already - on a HD DVD recorder, so an expensive -prob - device is prob not needed here. I have info back from a AV cable supplier that he cannot give me the linking cables- DVDR comp - ext HD, so that is the reason for my thread. Where now?
Yours jack

Your only outputs from your recorders are: SCART,HDMI,RCA. As far as I know, you can't send video to a Mac/PC from the HDMI port. It's for monitors/TVs only.

So that only leaves analogue using the RCA sockets for which you'll need the Canopus or Elgato.

How about importing straight from your dvds? What format are the videos in?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.