running windows software on mac?

Reaction score
Hello all, I have a Macbook 2010 model 2.4 ghz Intel core 2 duo and 4gb ram with version 10.5.8 software on it, I wish to use a windows based music software, how can I do this please? I did some research on the net telling me I can use "bootcamp" utility but I am not sure if it will work with my existing OS? Help please?

OP
M
Reaction score
Ok, I have read the 2 stickies [thanks] but I still would still need some help with some issues if it's ok? First, this taken from the first sticky:

Another option for running Windows on your Mac is Boot Camp. Boot Camp was initially released as a public beta for OS X 10.4 (Tiger) and has since matured into the full version available in OS X 10.5 (Leopard). If you still use Tiger, you’ll need to upgrade to Leopard to get this functionality.

Since my version is 10.5.8 is it correct that my version is indeed "snow leopard"? If yes, then this taken from Sticky 2:

(In case you didn't know, BootCamp Assistant can be found in your Applications / Utilities folder.)

Looking in my Application folder I am not seeing this utility so what would I need to do to get and use the bootcamp utitlity please?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm missing something here Nick, as mentioned I said my version is 10.5.8 so I am not understanding your answer, please explain?

Your earlier question was:

Since my version is 10.5.8 is it correct that my version is indeed "snow leopard"?

And my answer was:

Nope...10.5.8 is Leopard.

Where is the confusion??

10.5.8 = Leopard
10.6 = Snow Leopard

You have OS 10.5.8...which is Leopard...NOT Snow Leopard...as you suggested above.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
10.5.8 is Leopard and NOT Snow Leopard.
To try and find BootCamp, hit the ‘Space Bar’ and the ‘Command’ key to bring up Spotlight in the top right of the screen and type BootCamp into that. It should show up and when it does look to the left of it and see where it is situated.
But to open it click on the topmost entry.

OP
M
Reaction score
You have OS 10.5.8...which is Leopard...NOT Snow Leopard...as you suggested above.

- Nick

Oh, my sincerest apologies Nick, thanks for clearing up, I had thought that leopard was just short word for Snow Leopard.

OP
M
Reaction score
10.5.8 is Leopard and NOT Snow Leopard.
To try and find BootCamp, hit the ‘Space Bar’ and the ‘Command’ key to bring up Spotlight in the top right of the screen and type BootCamp into that. It should show up and when it does look to the left of it and see where it is situated.
But to open it click on the topmost entry.

Cool, thanks, it's there! Following the sticky, I will print the setup and Installation and get started, will report back here if any problems or if I am successful. Meantime, which would you guys recommend would work better, XP or Vista or doesn't matter?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh, my sincerest apologies Nick, thanks for clearing up, I had thought that leopard was just short word for Snow Leopard.

This terminology is VERY important. Since when reading "How To's" and "DIY" procedures...sometimes folks refer to the OS version by the number (10.5.8)...and sometimes by the name (Leopard).

HTH,:)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Meantime, which would you guys recommend would work better, XP or Vista or doesn't matter?

Depends on what the system requirements are for the software you want to run. If some of that software requires Windows Vista or newer...then you need Windows Vista. If the Windows software you want to run is much older...then Windows XP may be what you want to install.

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Yes, I have XP Pro, Vista and win7 but becuase someone who has been using my music software for a year or so now on XP on his Mac without any problems best I go that way. I started the process and chose "Divide equally" on the Partitioning screen but it now says:

"Verification failed. the disk could not be partitioned. use Disk utility to repair this disk."

I tried pressing the 'command and space bar" to bring up the search feature to search for the Disk Utility but now that doesn't work, could this be becuase the "Macbook HD" icon is showing on the top right corner of the screen? Or how can I best proceed please?

It's ok, I found the disk utility, working on it now.

OP
M
Reaction score
Ran into a problem guys, following these instructions I found on the net:

What is Disk Utility? The Complete Beginner's Guide | Mactuts+

the "Repair Disk" option is not available so I tried the Verify Disk Permissions and then the Repair Disk Permissions then went back to Bootcamp to see if the Divide Equally Partitioning will work but same problem so I went back to the Disk Utility and this time tried "Verify Disk". A prompt came up which reads

"First Aid failed. Disk utility stopped verifying 'Macbook HD' becuase the following error was encountered: File system verify or repair failed"

and the errors showing in the Disk Utility window:

(It should be 767276 instead of 767278)
invalid volume directory count

(It should be 213325 instead of 213323)

The volume Macbook HD needs to be repaired.
Error: Filesystem verify or repair failed.

It also shows in the utility at the top:

If Repair Disk is not available, click Verify Disk. If the disk needs Repair, start up from your Mac OSX installation Disk and then choose Utilities>Disk Utility

What can I do here please? I am wondering if following the above instructions and choosing the Disk utility that way will make a difference?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Boot from your Leopard OS X.5 disc, hold down C after the chime. Leave Installer and go into Utilities > Disk Utility and run Repair Disk there. You cannot repair a disk you are booted from. It is the only way to do it. You do have the Leopard disc?

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks that worked to repair the disk BUT now other problem. Choosing the Divide Equally option in Bootcamp Assistant is now showing this message:

The disk cannot be partitioned because some files cannot be moved.
Back up the disk and use Disk Utility to format it as a single MAC OS Extended [journaled] volume. Restore your information to the disk and try using Bootcamp Assistant again.

Bootcamp shows 2 options, Divide Equally and Use 32GB, I don't have to divide equally, but tell me this please to be sure, I am guessing the 32gb is preset to that low amount of space just to hold the windows OS files? If yes, my windows music player will be playing mp3's which I will be transferring into the Mac's HDD so this won't cause any problems as opposed to placing the mp3's into the windows partition? Or does it not matter if the mp3's are located in the Mac or windows partition?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks that worked to repair the disk BUT now other problem. Choosing the Divide Equally option in Bootcamp Assistant is now showing this message:

YIKES Mike...at the rate things are going...it may take 500 questions/answers before you get Windows installed on your Mac!;)

It really shouldn't be this difficult...especially with the Mac-Forums "Sticky" threads for reference!:)

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
well Nick, that's the problem with sticky's they don't always cover ever situation which may arise and in my case I simply don't wish to do any damage to my unit so I prefer to ask the questions before I go ahead and do my own thing and run into problems.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
well Nick, that's the problem with sticky's they don't always cover ever situation which may arise and in my case I simply don't wish to do any damage to my unit so I prefer to ask the questions before I go ahead and do my own thing and run into problems.

I understand your concerns.:) 13 questions asked already...and we don't even have your hard drive partitioned yet.;) And the "meat & potatoes" of the process is still to come...actually installing Windows...and the music software mentioned in the beginning.

I'm concerned that your computer/hard drive had some pre-existing issues...which is really slowing down the process. Cause like I mentioned...this process shouldn't be this difficult.:)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The disk cannot be partitioned because some files cannot be moved.
Back up the disk and use Disk Utility to format it as a single MAC OS Extended [journaled] volume. Restore your information to the disk and try using Bootcamp Assistant again.

You're getting this message...because your hard drive probably does not have 32gig of contiguous free space to create the Windows partition. Either do as the message says (in the quote above)...or try reducing the size of the partition (if this works for your eventual Windows needs).

Installing Windows on a Mac via Bootcamp (in my humble opinon) is something that really needs to be thought out carefully way ahead of time. What I mean by "ahead of time"...is starting from "scratch" with an almost empty HD...so the partitioning aspect is much easier. Installing Windows on a Mac with virtualization software (Parallels or vmWare Fusion)...can be more flexible (but you do take some performance sacrifices).

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Well, I'd like to think I'm almost there now, it's just waiting for me to start loading windows but I am at a standstill trying to figure out if the music files for my windows music player should be loaded in windows partition too together with XP Pro or will it not matter where my music files are located?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.