Migration Assistant doesnt find "D"drive???

Reaction score
I just bought a new mac book air, first time mac user. Im trying to migrate files from old pc to new mac on migration assistant, i got a network created, linked the computers, but when the program goes through the search function on the pc it only finds the "C" drive, it doesnt read or allow me to choose other drives???? I have all my files on the "D" drive!!! Help!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I tried to find out how to access drives other than C on the Windows PC but there was nothing in the Apple instructions on how to do so. It looks like you'll have to manually move the data yourself. Make sure you understand how the Windows Migration Assistant works first and where it places the data from the PC to the Mac. Once you have an idea of where everything is supposed to go, move the data manually. Probably best to use a USB external hard drive formatted to FAT-32 or a large flash drive formatted to FAT-32 to move the files.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13” i5 (2012) , iPhone5 16GB (white), iPhone4 8GB (white), iPad2 64GB 3G, Apple TV
If it is just ”data” (like pictures,movies, music), I suggest to establish a direct server connection from Mac to PC. With that you can browse your PC drives directly from your Mac and then decide which folders you wish to drag and drop onto your Mac.

I avoided the Migration Assistant, as I found it useless. Just my personal experience.

M

MacInWin

CLIP...

I avoided the Migration Assistant, as I found it useless. Just my personal experience.
A bit harsh, it does what it does and if used appropriately it does it well. Can't dispute your personal experience, but "useless" is pretty strong for something you avoided.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I agree with member "MacInWin". The Migration Assistant is useful but like any other application it has its limitations.

Also, a direct server connection may work out but does involve some manipulation and knowledge of the process. I believe manually transferring the data as I suggested above is probably best especially for a new user.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.