Airport Express as Ethernet Relay

Reaction score
I have the opportunity to acquire the previous generation Airport Express device. I understand I can use it as a relay (bridge) to extend the WAN and connect a printer to use it as wifi based. What is not clear to me is whether it has a LAN ethernet output to wire my G4 sawtooth to the network.
Can someone tell me if this is possible? The old G4 was not purchased with an airport card as it was always hardwired to the ethernet. It is now located away from the router so I was wondering if I can wire it to the AIrport Express and get internet, using the AIrport Express as the receiver/transmitter? The newest model does have a LAN connection.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
The Airport Express can extend the network created by another Apple router (Express or Extreme). If you have either of those, then yes you can extend the network and also plug the Airport Express near your G4 and connect a cable to it and join the WiFi network..

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks ashwin,
I did not know the Airport Express will only work as a relay if you have an Apple router. I don't have an Apple router but have a Linksys router, will that not work with the Airport Express?
Remember also that this is the previous generation Airport Express which has only one ethernet connection. I know you connect it to the computer to configure it, but the reason I asked the question is that if you use that generation as a wifi router, you would have to connect it to your modem via the ethernet connection which made me think that it might not work as an ethernet output.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
The Airport Express cannot connect to a Linksys or any other router to extend the range. That entire extending range thing is just an Apple router thing. There are other generic range extenders/boosters, but that's probably not what you want..

One option you have is the following..

Get an Airport Express/Extreme and connect it to your modem for Internet access. Now take the Airport Express and plug it in near the G4. This AE would act as the range extender and also have the Ethernet port for you to plug the G4 into.

You cannot do what you want with a combination of Apple and non-Apple routers and you can't do with just one router..:)

Reaction score
I'm new here, joined to find some answers but I can tell you that I had my 1st Gen 802.11n express extending the range of my Actiontec M1424 router provided by Verizon for my FIOS system.
It worked both wired and wirelessly, though MUCH slower wirelessly!

To set up the Express it had to have the same wireless network name AND Password as the Router you are trying to extend.

FYI ....... They do struggle streaming music without occasional "Drops". Accept this and you will be happy!

To set it up open the Airport Utility on your laptop/desk top and follow the directions.

I now have it extending an AirPort Extreme Router. Wired, it is fast. Wireless.....not so fast.

I purchased the New dual channel Express 2nd Generation last week, it is Worlds BETTER AND FASTER!

I now have the 1st gen wirelessly extending the Extreme into my garage. I need to hard wire it for the speeds wirelessly drops from a good 80+Mbps from the Extreme to about 3 Mbps sent out by the wireless 1st gen express!

Dave

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.