slow internet

Reaction score
I have a problem with internet speed on my home network. My network connection is full but occasionally my pages load extremely slow. Same with other Mac on other side of bed. But when I walk 15 feet across the room, the speed is perfect. I've searched to find another router that maybe i'm connecting to but there isn't one? Sometimes there is no problem at all with it. What could this be? My wife thinks maybe too many devices in home?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Welcome to Mac-Forums

What router do you have? What types and number of devices do you have? Getting closer to the router should make things work better.

OP
D
Reaction score
I have a Netgear Wireless Cable Gateway, going into a Linksys Wireless G Router, which goes into Netgear Wall Plug Ethernet Adapter. We also have an AT&T Microcell. Devices are 2 MacBook Pro's, 1 MacBook Air, 2 iPads, 3 iPhones, a Mac Mini, and to top it all off, a Sonos wireless music system.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
Yep..that's a lot of gear all on the one frequency. Proximity is an issue obviously but all that equipment is throttling the 2.4GHZ band which will more than likely be the same band that your neighbours are using along with your cordless phone:)

Just to add to Raz0rEdge's input, my feeling would be to invest in a dual-band router to spread the load.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I have an Airport Extreme base station and have 2 iMacs, 1 Windows laptop, 2 iPads, 1 iPhone, XBOX 360, Canon printer and Samsung TV all connected at 802.11n and have no real issues with slow downs..

The router is in the basement (a bad place I know, just haven't bothered moving it yet) and my iMac sitting on the 1st floor easily gets about 5MB/s download speeds. My daughter's iMac on the 2nd floor gets about 3.5MB/s and none of her streaming (videos from websites) is delayed/stuttering or anything.

I use the Samsung TV for streaming videos from Netflix and a local NAS and it also works great and the iPads and iPhone work without too many glitches..

One thing to keep in mind is that if you start mixing your devices at different 802.11 speeds, it'll cause a overall reduction of performance..

But as pendlewitch said, a dual-band router is probably not a bad thing to look into..

Also you would probably get overall better speeds if you just upgrade to a N router and you really should retire anything that's still stuck at G. So when you do go looking for the N router, having it be dual-band is a bonus..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.