New Macbook Pro, Old Adobe Software, does it work?

Reaction score
I went to my local mac store last week and 2 of the employees couldnt give me a straight answer on this so I'm hoping someone can help me out here.
I'm about to buy a new macbook pro and I was hoping someone can answer this for me. I have Adobe Illustrator 10 (I think from 2002) and Photoshop CS (from 2005) and I was wondering if I will be able to install them on the new macbook pro? I do have the original install discs..
The 2nd part of my question is will I be able to update them to the latest versions through an adobe website or elsewhere or will I have to buy the latest CS package?

Thanks for any help or suggestions!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I went to my local mac store last week and 2 of the employees couldnt give me a straight answer on this so I'm hoping someone can help me out here.
I'm about to buy a new macbook pro and I was hoping someone can answer this for me. I have Adobe Illustrator 10 (I think from 2002) and Photoshop CS (from 2005) and I was wondering if I will be able to install them on the new macbook pro? I do have the original install discs..

This is an easy one... I don't think it's that they "couldn't" answer, they probably just didn't want to and lose the sale.

The simple answer is a very definite NO.

To elaborate, a version of Adobe CS that old will be PowerPC only. The latest Macs use Intel processors (anything made after 2006). For a time, Apple bundled software called Rosetta with OS X to provide for compatibility with older PowerPC software. Apple pulled Rosetta when OS X 10.7 (Lion) was released, and it continues to not be available in 10.8 (Mountain Lion), which would ship pre-installed on your new Mac. Since 10.6 predates your new Mac's hardware by a good amount of time, it's unlikely and that you would be able to downgrade to 10.6, which would by your only option to run Rosetta.

The 2nd part of my question is will I be able to update them to the latest versions through an adobe website or elsewhere or will I have to buy the latest CS package?

Thanks for any help or suggestions!

I would imagine that with a version that far back, you wouldn't be eligible for an upgrade package at a discount. My advice would be to contact Adobe directly and see if they'll offer you any kind of discount.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
The earliest version a modern Mac will run is Adobe Creative Suite CS3

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.