Can I still recover this file or not? (read description)

Reaction score
So, I backed up my computer earlier this January and at that time a file was just emptied, and still recoverable. Then like 1-2 weeks later, I used Disk Utility's Erase Free Space (I did a 0 pass then 7 pass two times it's a long story why I did that) then I backed it up AGAIN, can I still get that file with the backup??

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Not any longer. When you elected to erase free space and did a 7 pass run, you effectively wiped out any chance at recovering that file. It would take the experts from NSA to recover that file now. If you don't have a backup, it's gone for good.

OP
G
Reaction score
Not any longer. When you elected to erase free space and did a 7 pass run, you effectively wiped out any chance at recovering that file. It would take the experts from NSA to recover that file now. If you don't have a backup, it's gone for good.

No, I'm not sure if you're getting me, I HAVE a back up but I backed up my computer when the file was emptied but it wasn't overwritten yet then after the computer was done backing up, I ejected it then weeks later I did a 7 pass to overwrite it then I backed it up after that again. So in conclusion, Before AND after I did the 7 pass I backed it up so can I still get it??

M

MacInWin

Did you overwrite the first backup with the second? If yes, it's gone. If not, you can probably restore from the first backup.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Backed up where? To Time Machine? DVD? Tape? If the file was already emptied, it is unlikely that it would have been backed up, but if you had run a recovery program on your hard drive before all those erases, you would've recovered it..

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
So you had a file you trashed, then emptied the trash, then made a backup and you want to know if you can recover the file from the backup?

No.

Threre is no backup software I'm aware of that is going to backup deleted data.

OP
G
Reaction score
So you had a file you trashed, then emptied the trash, then made a backup and you want to know if you can recover the file from the backup?

No.

Threre is no backup software I'm aware of that is going to backup deleted data.

yes, you got it! but then after the backup was done, I did a zero out and 7 pass two times then backed it up AGAIN, sorry guys, I know the story is confusing. lol.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So I think we're all saying the same thing..the file you are looking for is not backed up and is gone.

OP
G
Reaction score
So I think we're all saying the same thing..the file you are looking for is not backed up and is gone.

NO, LISTEN! lol. I emptied a file then after I emptied the file I backed up my computer then I did a 7 pass and zero out then backed it up again! So.. it means it's gone even though I backed it up when it was emptied...?

:( awww man!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Well if you don't believe 'em find it.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
It's unfortunate, but I think those of us who don't understand technology all that well suffer from something I like to call "The CSI effect". In a lot of popular media, fictional stories tell us that data, once it exists, is always recoverable if you just know the right trick to get it back - and that is not always true.

When you delete a file on just about any computer system, the file is not truly deleted in the sense of its physical presence on the storage medium. Your hard disk (or SSD) simply labels the file as deleted, but it's still present on the file system. This is where recovery or "undelete" software comes into play. That kind of software simply scans for orphaned files that match the search criteria. Once it's found, the flag is simply reset and the file is once again made available.

What can happen in the intervening time between when the file was "deleted" and the recovery software is run, is that once a file is marked as deleted, the space it occupied is now able to be overwritten. So, if you delete a file that you need back in a pinch, your best bet is to try to recover it ASAP, particularly on a crowded disk.

So, as you can see, recovering deleted files is already a fairly delicate, and sometimes unpredictable process. When you add in a multipass erase, you further complicate things. Yes, you made a backup of the disk at one point, where the file may or may not have been in a recoverable position. However, most backup software does NOT backup files that are orphaned. In order to get a file that was flagged as deleted, the backup software would need to do a perfect, bit-for-bit backup - that's just not how most backup software works. Rather, it backs up currently present files that are detected as needing to be backed up. In many cases, if a backup was previously done, it will in fact only get files that were added or changed since the last full backup, in order to speed the process.

This is why you're getting the kind of incredulous response you may not have expected here in this thread. While it's true that various government organizations or sophisticated hackers may be able to piece together bits of information on a scrubbed disk, it's pretty hit or miss, and not fool-proof. And even if there is data that is recoverable, it will likely not be in terms of full, coherent files.

I'm not sure of your reasoning for doing a multi-pass erase, but I would suggest that if you have certain files that maybe you'll need down the road, but for the moment don't want to be seen, that you instead look into options for encrypting the files, rather than deleting them.

M

MacInWin

What, precisely do you mean by "I emptied the file?" You told bobtomay that he got it right by saying that you deleted the file and emptied the trash and then backed it up. If that is, in fact, correct, then what you backed up was an empty trashcan, which means the file is gone, gone, gone. But "empty a file" is not a standard technical term, so perhaps we don't understand what you are talking about. So, what, exactly, do you mean?

OP
G
Reaction score
What, precisely do you mean by "I emptied the file?" You told bobtomay that he got it right by saying that you deleted the file and emptied the trash and then backed it up. If that is, in fact, correct, then what you backed up was an empty trashcan, which means the file is gone, gone, gone. But "empty a file" is not a standard technical term, so perhaps we don't understand what you are talking about. So, what, exactly, do you mean?

Okay, I have a macbook and I put a file in the trash and pressed empty the trash, which had the file in it. So, the file was emptied, ok, so I heard if you EMPTY the trash, it is still recoverable so after I emptied the trash I backed up MY WHOLE COMPUTER. Then, I went to Disk Utility's Erase Free Space (which overwrites any material you emptied in the trash) and did a zero out and a 7 pass two times, after I did that I backed it up again.
Get it?? I know it's confusing:D

M

MacInWin

Very clear and it's very gone. As I said, backing up an empty trash folder backs up nothing, so it's gone, gone, gone. Nothing outside NSA can get that data back for you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Okay, I have a macbook and I put a file in the trash and pressed empty the trash, which had the file in it. So, the file was emptied, ok, so I heard if you EMPTY the trash, it is still recoverable so after I emptied the trash I backed up MY WHOLE COMPUTER. Then, I went to Disk Utility's Erase Free Space (which overwrites any material you emptied in the trash) and did a zero out and a 7 pass two times, after I did that I backed it up again.

If you did do a Zero out and a 7 pass (2 times) then i dont think even NSA could recover that file.
Its gone forever.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

When you emptied the trash it was essentially gone. The backup would not save that file and once you erased the entire HD, the file was gone for good..

OP
G
Reaction score
Very clear and it's very gone. As I said, backing up an empty trash folder backs up nothing, so it's gone, gone, gone. Nothing outside NSA can get that data back for you.

Lol. But I didn't back up the empty trash folder, I backed up my whole computer using Time machine....

OP
G
Reaction score
When you emptied the trash it was essentially gone. The backup would not save that file and once you erased the entire HD, the file was gone for good..

Ok, so you understand me! :( still sad but I guess everything happens for a reason...?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, so you understand me! :( still sad but I guess everything happens for a reason...?

I think we all understand the situation. No backup software would go looking for deleted files to save..and as to everything happening for a reason, only you can answer that. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.