To all you crossovers from PC...

Reaction score
So kill me...I'm running PC right now and I always have. Thank God I'm switching to Mac though...I hope! My brother has one and thats the only person I know. He loves it, and it's obvious you love it, and I really liked it when I went to the apple store. What I'm getting at is I was looking for personal experiences from people that switched. Things like how the transition went and you deal with the different systems when you run mac and work runs PC. Or anything else you want to share, I'm all ears.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Read through the Switcher's Forum, you'll find tons of what you're looking for.

Reaction score
Just make sure that all the software you want to run has a version for OS X or that there is similar software that will serve the same purpose. Don't plan on using Virtual PC for anything.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 1.42//2 Power Mac B&W G3/350
After using a PC all my life, I just switched over to a Mac Mini.. so far the only downside I have is that I don't have access to a bunch of free programs anymore.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Free as in your friends had them or free as in, you know, acquired....

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
There are a lot of either Free or very cheap programs for OSX out there. I am talking about Legal by the way, not pirated from friends.

M

MadRhino23

What's wrong with Pirates? I thought Johnny Depp was awesome in Pirates of The Carribean!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" 2.8ghz Macbook Pro, 32GB iPhone 4
MadRhino23 said:
What's wrong with Pirates? I thought Johnny Depp was awesome in Pirates of The Carribean!

"But why's the rum gone?!?"

M

MadRhino23

VeritasCCT said:
So kill me...I'm running PC right now and I always have. Thank God I'm switching to Mac though...I hope! My brother has one and thats the only person I know. He loves it, and it's obvious you love it, and I really liked it when I went to the apple store. What I'm getting at is I was looking for personal experiences from people that switched. Things like how the transition went and you deal with the different systems when you run mac and work runs PC. Or anything else you want to share, I'm all ears.

A few things I tell my family and friends when they decide to make the SWITCH:

1) Don't worry, if you can work on a PC, this is gonna be a piece of cake!

2) OPEN your mind, and OS X will follow, REALLY!

3) Once you go MAC, you will never go BACK! LOL!

Welcome to your World!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
The US Navy picked some up today.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67GHZ 15" PowerBook G4 Widescreen "The Great Last PowerBook"/20" iMac Core Duo, 2GB RAM, 256VRAM
I just switched from a 3.2 GHZ Toshiba Laptop to a PowerBook G4 1.67GHZ. I love it. Did take some time to get used to all the programs, but once I did I haven't looked back.

Z

Z3roForc3

I just bought a mini 2 days ago, I thought it may take a while to get used to and slightly concerned about what programs would be available. After 2 days playing i'm very impressed and ready to sell my PC!

B

bmRboY

I just switched 3 days ago, I'm finding it hard to work with. Just little things really... Like there's no right click on the mouse... How do I save images? My brother switched about a month ago... he got the 12" ibook...and I got the powerbook 12"... one thing I noticed is that his battery life lasts longer than mine... clocked his 5 hours plus at full charge while mine only goes up to 3 and a half hours max with the airport off and the bluetooth disabled.... is this normal.... thanks in advance

T

topshot

bmRboy, you need to get yourself a book to teach yourself the basics. It will only take you an hour or two. One I always recommend is 'Easy Mac OS X'. It uses lots of pictures to show you what to do rather than a load of boring text. To right click, hold down the CTRL key when clicking. This is the equivelent of right click. As for battery life, you can change energy preferences for laptops by clicking the apple icon in the top left, then system preferences. search for power save and you will be directed to the power settings to put the system in energy save mode.

B

Badknee

Not a switcher, just surfing and joined today. Been using Macs (and the odd PC) since the original Mac, no HD, etc., but it was still a blast. Have a new iMac now and can't believe why more don't switch.

HOWEVER, I have to say that the "older" 1-button mice that came with Macs left a lot to be desired. I would suggest getting a USB mouse. You can right click all you want to in order to save images, makes trashing files easier - just makes the whole Mac experience even more enjoyable. Haven't used the new Mac mouse yet, but I hear it's great. Most things associated with a Mac are great IMHO.

Good luck. I know you'll never look back, unless you have some special software to run.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" iBook 1.33
I switched a few days before Christmas and I haven't bothered to use my Windows desktop since. OSX is fantastic. I've had no trouble using Virtual PC when I absolutely had to use a Windows only program.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.