Not happy with Fusion 5 running Win 8 vm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2020 M1 MB Air
I say that but I'm not really sure what's happening.

First off I have a MBP retina 2.3GHz with 8GB RAM.
I installed Fusion 5 to run a Windows 8 vm. I gave the vm 1 cpu core and 2GB of ram (it's 32 bit).
Have had a few problems with the beach ball appearing from time to time and most of the 8GB of ram being sucked up.
After further investigation it seems that on starting the vm up everything is normal for a while. Then after about 10 or 15 minutes with the vm at idle, and watching Mac's Activity Monitor closely, the ram will start ramping up past 5GB and on up to 6GB and on and on.
During this RAM ramp-up the activity monitor shows that the process vmware-vmx has got the processor pegged at 100% +

On looking in Windows 8 Task Manager ram usage reports little more than 700 MB and processor activity is showing in the 3 - 10% region.

As a result of this I have turned off file sharing and unchecked the 3D acceleration setting but things remain the same.

I have now noticed that if I close the vm down and exit Fusion 5 and then restart the vm everything stays calm. (So far indefinitely).

So, in short it seems to be causing these problems on just the first opening of the vm. The second opening seems to run fine.

I'm assuming this is a vmware problem affecting the Mac host. If left unchecked all the available ram will be used up and the Mac will grind to a halt, unless I shutdown the vm then restart it, in which case all seems fine.

Any ideas?
Thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.