Broken Seal Dilemma

Reaction score
Hello everyone, fairly new to Macs and definitely new to the forum and I wondering whether I could get a bit of advice from you experts out there.

I have just bought a mac book pro from a well known online retailer at a decent price, delivery was made and outer postal packaging was intact, sealed properly with that white mesh material.

However the seal on the white Apple box was broken and inside, the laptops cellophane wrapper with the paper seal was also broken.

Laptop itself looks completely fine, except one of the aluminium screw on the laptop base was a little loose but that was all. Checked specs on the laptop itself and all seems fine.

Question is would you sent it back as its not properly factory sealed or would you keep it?

Problem I have is that they are now out of stock on the model I ordered (Supplier is costco if anyone was wondering) and no indication when it will be back in stock.

I am inclined to keep it and get on with it but I was wondering whether anyone has had similar experiences or advice in general

Thanks in advance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2016 Macbook Pro 512g.15" 16g.ram Ipad2Air 64gb wifi+4g Iphone 6s 64gig
Was it sold as new or used?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Contact the seller and ask them why the seal were broken.

OP
H
Reaction score
I have already contacted them and they couldnt offer any reason why the seal was broken but did confirm that it shouldnt have been compromised.

They have offered to pick up and refund but cant replace as they are out of stock otherwise I probably would have sent it back.

Worst case scenario the product is guaranteed for 2 years so I suppose if anything goes wrong I do have an option to get it sorted.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I would send it back.

EDIT: I see you posted at the same time I did. Costco isn't the only supplier. If they can't replace it, buy from somewhere else. Just my opinion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2016 Macbook Pro 512g.15" 16g.ram Ipad2Air 64gb wifi+4g Iphone 6s 64gig
Honestly I would not want to take a chance. I would send it back.

Reaction score
Verify the serial# on the box matches the serial# on the bottom of the laptop.

Have you turned it on? The OS also pulls the serial# from firmware, which of course should match both.

OP
H
Reaction score
Verify the serial# on the box matches the serial# on the bottom of the laptop.

Have you turned it on? The OS also pulls the serial# from firmware, which of course should match both.

Turned it on and all is fine, I will check the serials, thanks;D

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Be sure to check the serial number with Apple. That's so the warranty date can be confirmed. If the seal was broken, for all you know the machine could have been turned on, connected to the net or Apple. You don't want to be short changed with regard to the warranty. Although Costco has a very generous return and refund policy, so you should be OK there.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.