HELP feature in Finder

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5" in Jan. 2013, black iPad 4 in Dec. 2012, 2 iPhone 4s, 2 iPod Touch 4s.

I just got a new iMac a few days ago. I've only had PCs before, but we do have iPod Touches (kids), 2 iPhones (adults), and I have an iPad 4. Obviously I became an Apple fan and decided to get what I really wanted in a computer. I am in the 'learning curve' obviously, but there is one thing that is very frustrating. I saw another forum talk about this and there was no real answer.

When I go into HELP in Finder, no matter what I click on, it says that the topic is not available and to check my internet connection (which is working just fine). I understand that others with a satellite internet connection are having this same issue. Has anyone come up with a solution or is it time to call Apple Care? (I'm in a contract for 2 more years and there really isn't any other viable option in rural Manitoba for decent internet). My ISP is Xplornet.

Thanks for any help or advice. :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to the Mac Forums.

It must be something to do with the type of connection you have. Help from the Finder depends on net access regardless of topic selected. Perhaps your connection is too slow (typical of satellite access) and the delay is being interpreted as a "no connection"?

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5" in Jan. 2013, black iPad 4 in Dec. 2012, 2 iPhone 4s, 2 iPod Touch 4s.
Welcome to the Mac Forums.

It must be something to do with the type of connection you have. Help from the Finder depends on net access regardless of topic selected. Perhaps your connection is too slow (typical of satellite access) and the delay is being interpreted as a "no connection"?

I realize that the selection of topics doesn't matter - I didn't word it very well. What I meant is that I tried it several times at different times and there was no difference. It wasn't temporary or anything. I would like to see a fix to this. Having a HELP feature as a newbie would be rather nice. lol!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
I've seen a few different solutions online, but you might want to just call Apple Care if no one here can help you. Your Mac comes with 90 days of free phone support.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Apple Care and support will be no help at all if it's a connection problem. And that's what it appears to be since she's using a satellite link to the net.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
In that case, we'll be no help either since we aren't actually there. But if it's not a connection problem, Apple Care might know of the issue and have some trick to try. Some of the causes I've read about have to do with plists and other things. It would certainly be worth a try.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13” i5 (2012) , iPhone5 16GB (white), iPhone4 8GB (white), iPad2 64GB 3G, Apple TV
Follow these steps:

Quit Help Viewer if it is open.
Click the Finder icon in the Dock.
From the Go menu, choose Go to Folder.
Type: ~/Library/Caches/

Tip: "~" means your Home, which you can also get to by going to the Users folder and opening your home folder.

Click Go.
Look for the "com.apple.helpui" folder.
Rename that folder to something else, such as "old Help cache folder".
Open Help Viewer.

source: Mac OS X: Can't access Help content, or content is blank or missing links

Did this help?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When you click on "Help" in Finder, it establishes an internet connection. The problem she's having is with the connection not the fact that "Help" isn't working. However, it certainly won't hurt to try what you suggested.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.