Updating/upgrading pain in the b***

Reaction score
Every so often I've outgrown the capacity of my Mac/MacBook and had to re-install software that I use everyday after installing larger HDs and Memory, it's a pain.

Software sellers must know their users will need to upgrade from time to time, programs get bigger to provide more operational power and more work is being done on computers. Why do they make it so difficult to reinstall on say a machine that has had a larger HD installed. I've registered, paid, got receipts, etc., but each time it as though I'm trying to cheat them and it takes days to get up and running smoothly again. I've tried all kinds of precautions, installed apps on a separate HD, kept records of registration numbers, names, etc. and still I feel I'm fighting a losing battle. What can I do to prevent me from throwing myself under a moving train?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I know this will probably upset you more, but, moved the thread to a more appropriate forum - not a news report nor a community announcement.

Thanks for understanding.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Same as mrplow. Buy new hard drive, put it in an enclosure. Connect to Mac and clone Mac's HDD to new drive. Then put new drive into Mac.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Every so often I've outgrown the capacity of my Mac/MacBook and had to re-install software that I use everyday after installing larger HDs and Memory, it's a pain.

Software sellers must know their users will need to upgrade from time to time, programs get bigger to provide more operational power and more work is being done on computers. Why do they make it so difficult to reinstall on say a machine that has had a larger HD installed. I've registered, paid, got receipts, etc., but each time it as though I'm trying to cheat them and it takes days to get up and running smoothly again. I've tried all kinds of precautions, installed apps on a separate HD, kept records of registration numbers, names, etc. and still I feel I'm fighting a losing battle. What can I do to prevent me from throwing myself under a moving train?

The main issue is...the lack of understanding of what options you have available. Two common options are:

1. Using a program like Super-Duper or Carbon Copy Cloner.
2. Using Apple's Migration Assistant.

- Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
Reinstalling....

I know this will probably upset you more, but, moved the thread to a more appropriate forum - not a news report nor a community announcement.

Thanks for understanding.

Thanks for correcting my error, put it down to the learning curve, just keep an eye on me, I'll probably get it wrong again!

OP
B
Reaction score
The main issue is...the lack of understanding of what options you have available. Two common options are:

1. Using a program like Super-Duper or Carbon Copy Cloner.
2. Using Apple's Migration Assistant.

- Nick

Thanks for those, you're right, but, it comes from being a lone worker, and not really having the time to do the research. It's probably too late to remedy the problems with my latest upgrade that I'm still suffering from. But will look into them.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
+1 on using Carbon Copy Cloner

You really need to have a backup anyway; having one that is bootable makes even better sense. And, it really reduces the hassle of moving to a new Mac.

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks for a lot of useful advice. I'm not normally concerned with the computer technology in any depth as a writer and photographer I'm kept fairly busy with writing articles and illustrating them. I read the instruction manuals of my first computers/word processors nearly thirty years ago and kept pace until I moved to Mac about 10 - 12 years ago. Not a hint of a problem since, until now. Suggestions of a couple of titles of helpful books might be a good idea to get me up to date?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.