• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

can't copy my dvd's

T

theone

I've reading through past threads trying to figure out how to copy my dvd's. I own teh dvd's and want to make my own back-ups. I'm unsure of the legality so I hope I can ask questions and get answers.

i have a G4 MDD W/ superdrive. I've got Toast 6 titanium and I recently downloaded MTR. I tried using these apps to copy my dvd but it did not work. As I was trying to record in toast I got this "Could not record the disc because there is a problem with source material. Result Code=18774"

I did RIP in MTR with region 1. I followed instructions from these threads.

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29231

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29015

Any thoughts?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
New MACBOOK
toast 6 as far as I know, cannot compress the dvd to fit on a dvd-r or +r. You would need to use a dual layer drive, and disk. Use roxio popcorn, or update to toast 7, and you can compress the dvd to fit on a dvd-r or +r. Mac the ripper only rips the dvd to your computer, it does not compress it, therefore, the files that mac the ripper puts on your computer are too large to fit on a dvd-r or +r.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
are you using handbrake to rip the DVD? if you do you can slect the size an resolution do that it will burn in toast to a DVD R

OP
T

theone

No I am using MTR. I've never heard of handbrake. Is there a version for 10.2.8? I'll have to google it.

When you RIP the movie to your computer through MTR or other software is it still vievable on the computer?

Reaction score
Are you looking to actually copy the DVD to a DVD image file on your computer? I.E. Using MTR to creat VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders? If so, then MTR is your best bet. I don't know a lot about that program, and I would suggest visiting their forums/website.

However, I would actually recommend HandBrake over MTR. Handbrake creates a single video file, that would open for example in quicktime. In order to play the DVD's ripped by MTR, you actually have to open them in DVD player. Handbrake's files are much easier to work with, and if something happens to one of your original disks, you can use Toast to reburn it.

The big advantage to using MTR would be that you preserve the entire disk in its entirety; menus, languages, subtitles, special features, scene selection, etc. HandBrake encodes one video at a time, which means you would have to rip everything off the disk that you want to save, I.E. the movie, special features, audio tracks, etc. For this resason, MTR may be better for your situation.

What are your settings in MTR?

Reaction score
ok.. let me get you some very helpful links..

here is the official forum for mtr...
http://www.ripdifferent.com/phpbb2/index.php

here is a guide you can use...
http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/125996

handbrake - only useful if you want to convert to mpeg 4 for ipod video.
http://handbrake.m0k.org/
(have used that on 10.4.4.. works fine)

if you have any issues.. please post and i will try and help..

one last thing.. dont use cheap media.. stay away from memorex, imation, and any store brand crap.

only buy sony, verbatim and taiyo yuden..

you can always PM me..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4 12 inch running mac os 10.4 with: 60 gb HD+256 mb ram+Radeon 9200
Use a Combo of MactheRipper and Toast 7.
MactheRipper will extract the dvd and you can use Toast 7 to burn it.

OP
T

theone

I'm new to all this. I think my best corse of action is to upgrade to Toast 7 or maybe get handbrake.
I'll do this probablly when I upgrade with more RAM and also get Tiger.

To answer your ? I'm trying to make a complete copy of a DVD movie.

thhanks djlee

thelox, i'll check out those links as soon as my son stops crying. maybe he will nap today!!!!!!

john, your advice seems to be what everyone else is saying so its probablly true

thanks

vinny

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.