Made the switch, well sorta

J

jtomlinson

I just received my new iBook in the mail and I must say I really do like it. I have been using PC's for about 10 years now and figured I would try something new. I don't ever plan on giving up my PC's, because they are how I earn my living. But I do love learning and playing with something new, so I bought myself this iBook for christmas.

One question I do have, does anyone know how difficult it is to install an Airport wireless card and more ram into the iBook? I didn't get the wireless card pre-installed because I don't need it right away, but would like to use wireless eventually with my already wireless home network. And I didn't get the ram preinstalled because I found quite a few websites with cheaper prices.

Thanks,
Jon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
I am not sure about installing the airport but im pretty sure its relatively simple. RAM is a since to install

OP
J

JazzTrpt

jtomlinson said:
I just received my new iBook in the mail and I must say I really do like it. I have been using PC's for about 10 years now and figured I would try something new. I don't ever plan on giving up my PC's, because they are how I earn my living. But I do love learning and playing with something new, so I bought myself this iBook for christmas.

One question I do have, does anyone know how difficult it is to install an Airport wireless card and more ram into the iBook? I didn't get the wireless card pre-installed because I don't need it right away, but would like to use wireless eventually with my already wireless home network. And I didn't get the ram preinstalled because I found quite a few websites with cheaper prices.

Thanks,
Jon

I'm not sure about the newer iBooks but on the previous models, you just lift up the keyboard and the airport card slot was right there. Easy.

OP
J

jcromartie

Yes, installing an Airport card is simple. Getting to the RAM slot requires you to remove the Airport bracket, however. Have a small screwdriver handy, and keep an eye on those little screws.

OP
J

jtomlinson

Thank you both. I should be ordering my Airport card and Ram after christmas.

pjn

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4
Hi

First post here - I also bought my first Mac over the weekend (12" iBook) and think it's great (even though I don't know what the heck I'm doing yet!)

Just confirming that the airport card is really easy to install (I bought one the day after the iBook). Literally takes a few minutes (it took longer to refit the keyboard properly than it did to install the card - mainly cos I'm a heavy handed!)

Had it up-and-running with the wireless DLink 624 router within 5 more minutes (of which most was spent trying to figure out how to enter the 128-bit encryption key - again I wasn't paying attention!)

Go for it - the wireless stuff is excellent!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
welcome aboard jtomlinson and pjn!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.