maybe you know: Where do the trashed files go with an external HD?

I

illuminati

If you delete files from an external harddrive, but eject the harddrive before you empy the trash, do the files really get deleted or where do they go? thanks
-Dan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
There is an invisible folder on every Mac formatted hard-drive called "Trashes". The files are stored in there until you empty the trash. If you eject the drive before you empty the trash, the files stay there until you plug it back in and empty the trash.

Reaction score
illuminati said:
If you delete files from an external harddrive, but eject the harddrive before you empy the trash, do the files really get deleted or where do they go? thanks
-Dan

Have you tried re-connecting the HD and then opening the trash from the dock to see if the files are there? I think the files are kept in a hidden system folder called .trashes on the external disk.

I've just tried this with a USB thumbdrive I have. I trashed a file on it, and I could then see the file in the hidden .trashes folder (you can't see this hidden folder with finder, you need to use some other 3rd party program). I then ejected the disk, and the file i deleted dissappeared from my trash, but wheni reconnected the disk, the file reappeared in the trash.

OP
I

illuminati

ahhh, OK, makes sense. thanks guys. So this will work no matter how much time(shut-downs too?) went by before reconnecting?
-Dan

Reaction score
Since the files are still on the HD, and as long as you don't empty the trash in the meantime you should be ok.

OP
I

illuminati

well, I actually dont want the files to be there and take up space where I cant see them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Then reconnect the drive and empty the trash.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.