Network preferences unlocked when I log in

Reaction score
Sorry, I'm a novice. If I shut down my computer rather than sleep, after I start up and log on again, I have discovered that my network preference will always be unlocked for changes. Is this normal? Should it really default to have my network unlocked every time I log in?

If it is, I guess I'll just have to remember to lock my preferences every time I log back in from a hard shut down.

Reaction score
same question

I am trying to figure out how to get to the responses to your question because mine is the same! I did not previously have to manually relock the network preferences EVERY TIME I login to the computer. What's up with that?
Also - ordered MacClean who wanted access to my keychain. Don't know what a "keychain" is. Maybe that's where the problem started, don't know

OP
Z
Reaction score
I am trying to figure out how to get to the responses to your question because mine is the same! I did not previously have to manually relock the network preferences EVERY TIME I login to the computer. What's up with that?
Also - ordered MacClean who wanted access to my keychain. Don't know what a "keychain" is. Maybe that's where the problem started, don't know

I'm going to try around on some other forums as well. If I get an answer, I'll let you know. For now I'm just going into sleep mode most of the time and making sure to lock it after logging back on from a full shut down.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Yes, that is the default operation.

Lock it why? It is not going to change unless you change it. And you don't allow anyone else to use your computer with admin rights, right?

The Keychain is the password management system in OS X.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.