MBP Compatible with Westell 7500?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 9.7" IOS 10.2.1, 2015 MBP 16gb 1tb OSX 10.12.3
Yesterday I ordered my first Mac, a Macbook Pro, refurbished first release June 2012 so it will come with Lion.

I think I have too much time on my hands today and am getting so worried that it will arrive and I will be unable to connect to my wifi network. My DSL provider is Centurylink and I have a Westell 7500 modem.

I have an Ipad 2 and 4 and had no problem connecting them and I had a Toshiba laptop that just died, after 5 years of use, and it did well too. This westell router is 5 years old now tho, the speed is slow and it always seems to me that Macs are just different than plain ole pc's.

Has anybody else had issues with initial setup of wireless with their MBP running Lion? Oh, it will have a free upgrade to ML, but I've got to get network connectivity first.

I called Centurylink yesterday to ask them about Macs and any connectivity issues, the lady I was talking to said she wasnt sure, to just wait till I got it. I asked if someone else did, she transferred me and the line hung up. So i'll wait on that and talk to a tech vs cust svc after receipt of the MBP. Just thought I would ask here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13” i5 (2012) , iPhone5 16GB (white), iPhone4 8GB (white), iPad2 64GB 3G, Apple TV
I have a 3 year old modem/router from Cisco (through my provider UPC). All my devices (iPhone/iPad/AppleTV) connect to it, so if that is the same case with you and your modem, I wouldn't worry too much about your Macbook Pro's connectivity capabilities :)

C

chas_m

I'm unaware of any Wi-Fi router anywhere in the world that is incompatible with a modern Mac.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I would not worry too much that the folks you talked to could not answer Mac-related question s. It has been my experience than many of them get little or no training whatsoever when it comes to Macs.

A few years ago I called a major router manufacturer about some connectivity issues we were having with both Macs and PCs. After a ridiculous amount of time on hold the tech I talked to had me boot our Windows machine to run a particular utility. When I realized what he wanted to do I realized we could easily have run the utility on a Mac.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I have at my place 12 or more different routers all set as WAP's besides the main router. Linksys, Dlink, Netgear, AT&T and a few others and never had issues connecting to any of my Macs. Just be sure to use WPA or WPA2 if you can and not WEP. Only issues I have seen here on the forums are people using WEP and WEP is very insecure and easily hacked anyway.

OP
MacWannabeNTX
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 9.7" IOS 10.2.1, 2015 MBP 16gb 1tb OSX 10.12.3
Thank all of you so much. You have made me feel more patient now to just wait for its arrival. And it is WPA or WPA2' dont know which and has a passcode that I get from the back label of the router.

One more question, if I may. Since I will need to update the software to ML. Ii know I can get a redemption code and order it in the Mac Store, but will I need to erase the Lion s/w before installing ML?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.