battery note says Replace Soon

Reaction score
I have a macbook pro that says 1000 battery cycles is my capacity. it has used 1130 cycles, so it's doing well.

Recently, my battery note says Replace Soon. I looked up power under About This Mac and when it is fully charged the Power Remaining matches the Power Capacity (4127 (mAh), then, as I use it unplugged of course it goes down.

But, since it is fully charging do I need to replace it soon. And, if so, where is best place to purchse if I can install it myself?

thanks so much

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Recently, my battery note says Replace Soon. I looked up power under About This Mac and when it is fully charged the Power Remaining matches the Power Capacity (4127 (mAh), then, as I use it unplugged of course it goes down.

How much runtime do you get from a single full battery charge (hours & minutes)?

- Nick

OP
L
Reaction score
How much runtime do you get from a single full battery charge (hours & minutes)?

- Nick

thanks for your time, Nick.

at this point, about 4 hours max. i keep the screen bright. the time left on top of the page dives pretty quickly.

thank you for looking into this with me.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
at this point, about 4 hours max. i keep the screen bright. the time left on top of the page dives pretty quickly.

If you're still getting this sort of runtime on a full charge...I personally would (at least for the time being) ignore the "Replace Soon" message. I would only replace the battery if the total runtime on a single full charge got to a point to be inconvenient.

For example...if you were only getting 30 minutes runtime on a full charge...then it would defintley be time to replace the battery. But you have to decide/determine how "short" of a total runtime is acceptable to you.

HTH,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
The "Replace Soon" message means absolutely nothing, and has no connection to actual battery life. It is only a general message that is shown after a certain amount of reported battery cycles, and has no affiliation with the battery's true health/longevity of use.

If I were you, I would only replace your MBP under two conditions:
1. Battery only last a fraction of the original life, and is not suited for your needs.
2. The battery has started to bulge and is warping the underbody cover.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
You'd also want to consider cost. Although prices vary from region to region, it's not all that cheap. For example, to replace the battery in a unibody MBP in Canada will set you back $140 (before tax) unless you have a 17" model in which case it jumps to $190.

OP
L
Reaction score
Thanks for both replies. What you say makes sense. If the battery life becomes inconvenient, then - out it goes.

I appreciate the quick responses. At my age, I forget I'm in a conversation unless it continues, so you should know what a great bit of help you've given me (and no doubt, others geting up there in years and down there in battery life!.)

peter

OP
L
Reaction score
You'd also want to consider cost. Although prices vary from region to region, it's not all that cheap. For example, to replace the battery in a unibody MBP in Canada will set you back $140 (before tax) unless you have a 17" model in which case it jumps to $190.

wow. is that battery alone or including labour? I am in canada.

thank you.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Here's a link for battery replacement costs:

Apple - Support - Service Answer Center

- First click on "Battery Replacement" on the left
- Second click on "How much does battery replacement cost?" from the list that appears on the right

...then a chart will come up with battery replacement costs for various countries.

- Nick

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)

thank you.
As it notes here:
The price of the replacement battery includes installation of your new battery and environmentally responsible disposal of your depleted battery.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.