how much would a ram upgrade cost me?

Reaction score
decided to buy this for my 2012 macbook pro

Newegg.com - Kingston 8GB DDR3 1333 ECC Registered Memory for Apple with thermal sensor Model KTA-MP1333DR/8G

is it compatible? and if i take it to the apple store will they put it in for me? if so ~ how much would they charge?

how much max memory does my mac support?

i would do it myself - but would it void warranty? also i am scared cuz theres like 20 tiny screws just to remove the back cover!! i thought about replacing the hdd with a ssd but not going to even in my wildest dreams!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
decided to buy this for my 2012 macbook pro

Newegg.com - Kingston 8GB DDR3 1333 ECC Registered Memory for Apple with thermal sensor Model KTA-MP1333DR/8G

is it compatible? and if i take it to the apple store will they put it in for me? if so ~ how much would they charge?

how much max memory does my mac support?

i would do it myself - but would it void warranty? also i am scared cuz theres like 20 tiny screws just to remove the back cover!! i thought about replacing the hdd with a ssd but not going to even in my wildest dreams!

Wrong memory. Your machine uses DDR3-1600.

Do yourself a favor and use Crucial.com or OtherWorldComputing.com for memory upgrades to ensure you've got the right type.

Installation is not difficult at all - you just need to keep track of the screws. Memory and HDD/SSD are considered user-serviceable in this model, so you don't need to worry about the warranty.

Also, I would not pay Apple Store labor rates to do this as it can be done by anyone with a steady hand and a screw driver.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.