how do i make copies of audio cds

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Please read the information at this LINK.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Does that really apply to audio CDs chscag? Given that Apple actively encourages people to import CDs into iTunes, and then tells you that you can burn a playlist and produce an audio CD.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It applies to any commercially produced CD or DVD that has embedded copy protection. And since the OP did not state what kind of audio CDs he/she was trying to copy, hence, the warning to read the Sticky was given. I realize the law may be different in the UK, but in our forums we adhere to US law.

C

chas_m

Yes, but most Audio CDs *don't* come with copy protection (at least not any of the ones I've bought, I returned the one that did and gave em what for!). However, making a COPY of a commercial audio CD is still most likely not legal, since the only likely reason one might have for doing so would be to illegally give it to someone else.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Or, you make a copy of your commercial audio CD to play in your car. After enough bumps and jolts, it gets messed up, so you make another one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Yes, but most Audio CDs *don't* come with copy protection (at least not any of the ones I've bought, I returned the one that did and gave em what for!). However, making a COPY of a commercial audio CD is still most likely not legal, since the only likely reason one might have for doing so would be to illegally give it to someone else.

Backups are covered, in the US, under fair use. The only issue with copying a DVD (in the US, where consumer rights are limited), is that you have to decrypt CSS to do so. Congress, in deference to the rights of the movie studios, elected to make this particular act illegal. Otherwise, copying a NON-CSS encrypted DVD (and there are some out there), is completely and 100% legal (for personal use) under the fair use statutes.

So in short, you can do this in Disk Util, since I'm really not aware of any audio CD's that require decryption to play

Mac Tips Daily! #171 - Copy CD and DVD Discs — thinkmac.net | Mac & iOS Tips, Tutorials, Reviews & Podcast

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
we adhere to US law.
Yes, I know but in this case, given that Apple actively encourages people to import CDs into iTunes, and then tells you that you can burn a playlist and produce an audio CD, I would suggest that it's not aginst the law. Or are Apple encouraging people to break the law.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
As Dysfunction has pointed out - fair use - and on discs that do not have encryption - it is legal.

Copying a disc - even one without encryption - to give to someone else - is illegal.

chscag was merely making sure the discussion stays within the legal bounds.
Especially with first time posters that may not be aware of any illegality.
And the question - how do I make "copies" - possibly implying some use other than creating a single copy for personal use.
No reason to belabor the point.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.