Making the switch to Mac from Windows should I wait?

Reaction score
Tax returns are coming and I'm looking at 13in non retina mbp's. My question is should I wait a few months until a refresh or buy now? I'm not in dire need of laptop, but its definitely time to start thinking about upgrading. I'm currently using a 4 year old HP laptop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
You can wait forever if you are nervous that a refresh will happen at some undetermined time in the future.

Simply but a new computer if and when you find you need an upgrade

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Tax returns are coming and I'm looking at 13in non retina mbp's. My question is should I wait a few months until a refresh or buy now? I'm not in dire need of laptop, but its definitely time to start thinking about upgrading. I'm currently using a 4 year old HP laptop.

Hey who knows...Apple may do away with the non-retina MacBook Pro's altogether. Could be the next refresh...or maybe the refresh after that. But we won't know until it happens. So you can either wait...or buy now.

If you're not in a hurry...then just wait. Just be responsible...and don't spend that tax return money on something else!!!;)

- Nick

C

chas_m

The confluence of events that intersects "I could use a newer computer" with "I have the spare money for this purchase" is so rare that I just automatically take advantage of it and DON'T GIVE A HANG about what might come out shortly afterwards (maybe possibly) unless it's bleeding obvious that something is about to happen on that front.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
g4 ibook 1.2/512 leopard, 2007 MacBook 2.0 c2d lion, 20" imac 1.8 cd , 2010 mac mini
I don't need a new laptop, however I am very willing to spend the rent money on another apple laptop just because they are so awesome. much rather have the new macbook air than waste money on rent, I have a conversion van so wasting money on rent is a real waste when i can get something awesome for the money. just go buy one, you will never regret it!!

C

chas_m

We don't mean to seem to be being cagey or standoffish, it's just that we've learned that you can never really predict with certainty when Apple will refresh its notebook line. They did so very recently however (late October) so I'm inclined to say that NOW is the time to buy on this cycle. The notebooks do get a minor bump fairly often (no real pattern but call it twice per year-plus) and a major refresh less frequently (VERY unlikely anytime soon).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.