Single dedicated Processor ? do i need 4 Kernel 8 Threads ?

Reaction score
I mention i want to use my machine ONLY to edit video in HD with FCPX , have no time or interest or time to do 3,4 or 5 things at the same time with the same machine (i have other stattions for websurfing and so on)

is there any dedicated INTEL CPU available which can set all its power to work ONLY with one program ?

so all the power will be dedicated to that proccess and make it faster ?

planning to buy
Intel Core i7 3770K 4x3.50GHz So1155 Box Ivy Bridge
thanks for your answers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
You will always have some processes running from the OS. But other than that the CPU will be allocated to whatever has the demand. FCPX is multi-core aware and will use all the cores simultaneously.
If you want to be certain there are no extraneous processes running then create a new user for editing that has no other applications loading at start tc.

C

chas_m

As mrplow observes, I think you are misunderstanding the nature of multi-processing. You WANT this feature VERY MUCH, as it allows FCP to do colour grading and effects in REAL TIME rather than sitting there "rendering" for hours on end just to get a preview of how something will look.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Sorry, but you have it wrong. Whether any given app can make use of multi-cores has to do with the app and whether it has been designed to make use of multiple cores. It has nothing to do with any setting of the CPU. This really was the whole point of Apple releasing FCPX.

Having said that, FCPX can use up to 12 cores. Have a read here for one of the better articles pertaining to FCPX. And read about Grand Central Dispatch here. And you can google more about multi-core capability.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.