Internet Issues

Reaction score
I'm at hotel and I'm having issues connecting to their webpage so I can sign in to use their internet. Instead of redirecting to their webpage it times out. I can't even connect to the router, it just times out. This is Windows XP running on Bootcamp 2.2. The flip side is Leopard (10.5.8) works just fine with their internet. The redirect page popped up right away, and the internet is working as it should.
My question is, will getting Bootcamp 3.0+ fix this problem or is there a simpler solution or am I just out of luck here?
I've tried Firefox, Google Chrome, and IE, turned the firewall off, all extensions, basically all your normal trouble shooting things to try and get the page to work. So I'm out of ideas and was wondering if anyone else has run into this problem.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Is it just at this hotel you're having the problem connecting from Windows XP? If you're able to connect elsewhere from Windows XP, then it's likely a connection setting that needs to be changed in XP.

Did you use the Internet Connection Wizard from XP to setup a new connection at the hotel? Or did you just go with the settings you had previously when at home? The reason I ask is I have run into that before with XP not at a hotel but using public WiFi. I had to setup a new connection each time. Windows 7 is automatic and will sense the connection and lock on. Not so with XP.

OP
L
Reaction score
I've just had the problem at the hotel (actually two, but same brand of hotels, with the same kind of redirect). I don't have this problem at home. The only other time I've had issues connecting to another wireless in recent history and where the problem was similar was with someone who had recently switched to AT&T. Their previous internet provider and equipment worked just fine on Windows XP. I've been on other networks with Windows XP and everything was normal. Only ran across the problem at hotels and the person who switched from Cox to AT&T.
I'm connecting to the proper network and it did so automatically. Though I have a feeling that may not be what you mean about setting up a new connection. I'm kind of a noob at networking and have a limited knowledge, just enough to get by lol

Edit: I tried that and didn't work. I think I was unclear last night. Windows is connecting to the hotel wireless (least it says it is), it won't redirect to the hotel webpage. When I try to go to the router ip it times out. So I think maybe it's a hardware glitch.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.