How do I make an empty Fn key perform a keyboard shortcut?

Reaction score
So, I use Google Docs in Chrome for work 8 hours a day, more specifically the spreadsheet program. I frequently add notes to cells, and have to press SHIFT+Fn+F2 to quickly enter a note. I would like to program one of the empty Fn keys (F5 or F13) to perform the SHIFT+Fn+F2 shortcut. Is this possible? If so, please explain how!

I have Googled for an answer for about half an hour and only find how to create shortcuts for menu items in Chrome through System Pref and since its a web app it won't work.

If it matters I'm using the newest Apple Wired Keyboard with a number pad.

Thanks so much for your help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.5ghz Intel Core i5 Ivy Bridge, 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 RAM, Intel HD Graphics 4000, 13inch Retina
Hey there!

Welcome to mac-forums!

I found this thread on another forum for macs which I think could really help you out, I didn't take the time to read the whole thread but I am assuming that you could find some useful information about your issue there: macforums.com

Also there are two other things which could probably help you out:
This NYT article talking about changed F(x) keys on mac: How to Change the Functions of a Mac's F-Keys - NYTimes.com
And this apple support article (probably the least useful of the 3) about doing the same thing: Mac OS X: How to change the behavior of function keys

Good luck and hopefully it works out!
Ljbaumer

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.