Clickfree of PC to MacBook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
I am new to Mac and want to transfer 3 GB of image and doc files to a MacBook. I have a clickfree backup but it is hundreds of zip files and I only want to transfer some of the images, videos and docx files over to the MAC. I am looking for the best way.
USB to USB? iCloud?
Where can I read the benefits of the various options. I don't need to keep them in sync.

Suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Where do you want to transfer them from?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Dropbox is a terrible idea for this. Not only would that require a paid account (since the free ones top out at 2GB) but uploading all the data just to download it again would take forever.

I haven't got the slightest clue how ClickFree works but it looks like it uses it's own method of storing files. If you can, use their Mac client. Otherwise, you'll need to find a compatible app or use something else to create the backup.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
OK, this is looking similar to getting help from Microsoft. I start Migration Assistant on my new Mac and the app tells me to download migrate-to-mac from apple.com. Well, guess what. when I click on apple.com/migrate-to-mac, apple doesn't have the application. This is a new MacBook Pro. It should have the latest Migration Assistant on it? Shouldn't apple still have the application migrate-to-mac or have the URL tell you what the latest solution is?
I already discounted Dropbox and it takes too long plus the annual subscription cost for a one time deal.
The Migration Assistant is the best solution.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Are both computer on your network? How about turning on file sharing and copying what you need over the network from Windows to OSX? I do that all the time on my network between computers, both Windows and Macs.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
The app it is wanting you to download is for your Windows machine - not your Mac.

You will download and install the Windows Migration Assistant onto your Windows machine - can be downloaded from here.

Directions are here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
OK, this is looking similar to getting help from Microsoft. I start Migration Assistant on my new Mac and the app tells me to download migrate-to-mac from apple.com. Well, guess what. when I click on apple.com/migrate-to-mac, apple doesn't have the application. This is a new MacBook Pro. It should have the latest Migration Assistant on it? Shouldn't apple still have the application migrate-to-mac or have the URL tell you what the latest solution is?
I already discounted Dropbox and it takes too long plus the annual subscription cost for a one time deal.
The Migration Assistant is the best solution.

If you'd have actually read the link I posted you'd have seen that the migration assistant for your mac is built in and that on that page there was a link to the windows migration assistant.

If you went on further you'd see that you run the windows assistant on your, windows machine. Transfer the file (I'd suggest using an external hard disk) to your Mac and use the migration assistant to unpack your files onto your Mac

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
Well, I got Migration Assistant (MA) running on my PC and Mac. I got them talking to one another and and confirmed. I selected the file types to be transferred and then.....wait.. MA said the user, (me) was busy. So, I created a new user, (me-) as an Administrator on the PC. When I started MA on both systems the app when to me-. I couldn't get MA to look at ME or me. MA is looking for a user. My user is "Fname Lname". How do I tell the PC to stop all applications but MA?
I am running a MacBook Pro so I don't have the benefit of an external hard disk unless I fire up one of my old PCs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Isn't clickfree an external hard disk?

You could try boot the PC in safe mode with networking. It only loads base services. Not sure if MA will run in safe mode but its worth a look

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
Gentlemen,
I found a solution. I simply connected PC to Mac via Ethernet cable and enabled a private network. Apple Migrate to Mac is a good idea for small tasks but when you are selecting folders and subfolders to transfer, Migration Assistant is far too restricting. MA only enables you to merge pictures. I have 3-4 gigabytes of images, and 5 gigabytes of MS Office files to move. I didn't want to transfer all buy most.
I want to thank you all for your suggestions.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
Migration Assistant problems

Well, I got Migration Assistant (MA) running on my PC and Mac. I got them talking to one another and and confirmed. I selected the file types to be transferred and then.....wait.. MA said the user, (me) was busy. So, I created a new user, (me-) as an Administrator on the PC. When I started MA on both systems the app when to me-. I couldn't get MA to look at ME or me. MA is looking for a user. My user is "Fname Lname". How do I tell the PC to stop all applications but MA?
I am running a MacBook Pro so I don't have the benefit of an external hard disk unless I fire up one of my old PCs.

One big issue with Migration Assistant on a PC is the named user. It does not like a string with a space in the name, i.e. {FName} (space) {LName}. :\ I had to use ethernet and create a link.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
If you read my last message in this thread, that is what I suggested. Networking. Glad it worked.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And indeed it's what was described in the link I posted yesterday.

Still, glad you're up and running again.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
Dennis,
Can you tell me what directory / file folder to put music files? I have dozens and would like to load them so that iTunes can play them. Some worked and some don't.
Also, when I first loaded them iTunes asked if I want to search for music files. Where do I find that commend again? Some are mp3 and they need to be converted to iTunes file format.
Thanks,
Mark

C

chas_m

MP3 will play natively in iTunes, no conversion needed. Protected WMA files will not play in iTunes and there's nothing you can do to convert them because they suck. Unprotected WMA files can be converted to AAC or MP3 as you like with this:

How to Convert WMA Files to AAC for a Mac | eHow.com

(there are plenty of other tools that will do the job as well)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac, i7 3.4, 3T Fusion Drive, 16G Memory, 2T Time Capsule
Migration Assistant

If you read my last message in this thread, that is what I suggested. Networking. Glad it worked.

Hello, I am definitely new with a 4 day old 27" iMac. I am trying to get my old pics, contacts, Outlook messages, music, Documents folder and whatever else I need from the old PC. It has Windows Vista. I tried Migration Assistant after downloading the file to my PC, confirmed they were connected, chose files and folders to migrate and let'er rip. First attempt the PC Windows Firewall kicked on and stopped the migration. I turned off the firewall and started the whole process over since the " MA is attempting to reconnect" box stayed up. Second attempt the iMac screen saver kicked on and the reconnect box again stayed on. I turned that and power save off, checked the firewalls on both machines, hooked up an Ethernet cable in case the wireless signal got weak then started it all over. When the migration showed complete over 3 hours later, I found nothing on the iMac. So I rebooted and was prompted to set up another ID as another user. There was the Desktop files that were on my PC! But on deeper investigation, no pics, Document folder, or contacts to Outlook were to be found. Yes, I do have Office 2011 for Mac Installed. Needless to say I am frustrated and a bit confused. I had thought MA would put the PC files and folders chosen on the PC on my iMac and I would access them like I could on my PC. What am I doing wrong? Are my expectations too high? Thanks for any help or suggestions!

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
I followed the same steps as you about a month ago and Migration Assistant is fine for small conversions but as you have found it doesn't work for large data transfers. My suggestion is to connect your iMac to the PC with ethernet cable (RJ11). On your PC create a network that includes your iMac, It should have a different name from when you connected to your home router. You can only copy one directory at a time but it is easier than MA.
Once you have the files transferred you open Finder and put the files in the right folder so that iMac recognizes them. iOS folders for Photos is limited so you will need to consolidate. The GUI for iPhoto limits the number folders to 14 plus the web Photo Stream. Apple whats you to put your photos in the cloud and that would cost you $$ once you get over 5GB. I had more than 15GB of photos that go back 5 decades. This is not something I want to pay for each month so I have a well structured back-up system.
For Docx, Excel and pptx should come over ok but you will need to purchase Microsoft Office to view them. I chose not to purchase Outlook so I can't help you there. I would assume the PST file should come over and paste it in the Outlook folder. I know nothing about your history files if you want to move those also.
For your music and movies use iTunes and you need to keep the same Apple ID.
Steps:
1. Connect PC and iMac with ethernet cable
2. Go to PC's Control Panel>Network and Sharing Center>
3. Click on "Set up a new connection or network>Set up a wireless ad hoc (computer-to-computer) network
4. Copy directors and paste on the iMac.

Good luck,
Mark

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.