System Freezes - now what?

Reaction score
My new MBP had "frozen" twice now. In this state only thing I can do is move the mouse cursor, and hold down the Power button to re start.

There is no Beach Ball, or crash report and KBD is ignored.

I have done MEMTEST and Disk Verify and all seems good. How should I investigate this further???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
What were you running when the Mac froze?

You could open activity monitor -> see if some process is using a bunch of CPU or Memory. If you are running out of system memory and your swap is getting large - this could be causing slowdowns.

Also - how much free disk space do you have? If you are using a lot of swap and you don't have enough disk space - you could just be flat out running out of memory.

There are a myriad of things but start with watching activity monitor. You could also try istats which give you temperature information as well.
https://www.apple.com/downloads/dashboard/status/istatpro.html

OP
P
Reaction score
Ivan,
Thanks for your help. I am installing istatpro, now.
When the freeze happened, I couldn't open anything as the kbd was dead. So Activity Monitor was not an option. I have 16GB ram and had 120GB free space on my 480GB SSD
I was using Lightroom at the time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
Unless you were doing something else 16GB and 120GB of free space is plenty for just lightroom. (Unless you have a super massive library - then I don't know.)

What I meant was you could open activity monitor - and keep it running. Hopefully you can see it if you get a freeze - and maybe it will tell you something about memory or cpu usage.

Adobe has a whole page on stuff to try when using Adobe apps
Troubleshoot system errors, freezes | Mac OS 10.x | Adobe software

Every little bit of information you can gather before it crashes again will help debug the problem.

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks for the Adobe link. I wasn't aware of it. I shall try out its recommendations.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.