Mouse problems.

Reaction score
Morning all, my first time on forum so hope you can help.
My apple mouse and any usb mouse i have tried all of a sudden will not open applications with left click,right click works fine. I can highlight and close folders etc with left click but will not open any applications. ??

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Without supplying us with any other information, all I can suggest is to open System Preferences, Mouse, and check your current settings. Make sure you have the "Primary Mouse Button" option set to "left".

OP
P
Reaction score
If i reboot computer the left mouse button works for 4 or 5 clicks then ceases to work again. have checked all settings and everything fine there.. I left the office for 30 minutes and when i returned the mouse worked for 3 clicks and then stopped again, have tried all manner of mouse's all with the same result..

Reaction score
If i reboot computer the left mouse button works for 4 or 5 clicks then ceases to work again. have checked all settings and everything fine there.. I left the office for 30 minutes and when i returned the mouse worked for 3 clicks and then stopped again, have tried all manner of mouse's all with the same result..

i have a similar issue with my logitech usb wireless mouse....

it works fine but if the macbooks been asleep for a long period of time, ill come back and click and it wakes up, but then the mouse doesn't do anything until i unplug the receiver from usb and plug it back in - have you tried doing that?

OP
P
Reaction score
Yea i have tried restarting unplugging shutting down as well as apple wireless mouse and aftermarket usb mice and it is still a hit and miss deal…all functions of the mouse work except the double click function of opening folders images etc and as i deal in photography its a real pain..
sometimes if i continually keep clicking on subject it will open and then nothing again..i'm lost

Reaction score
have you tried a factory restore? a fresh chance is always nice :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Can you disconnect your keyboard and try again. Just a thought you may have a stuck key modifying the left click behaviour.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
i have a similar issue with my logitech usb wireless mouse....

it works fine but if the macbooks been asleep for a long period of time, ill come back and click and it wakes up, but then the mouse doesn't do anything until i unplug the receiver from usb and plug it back in - have you tried doing that?

I suspect your issue is just poor comms/power down issue with that model of mouse.

However, the OP is seeing the same results with a USB mouse too. So it's more likely the the Mac or keyboard at the root of the problem

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.