Read-only iPhone interface

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Is there any way to select a usable iPhone interface for the forum?

If I get a notification of a thread update by email, on my iPhone, the link takes me to a read only interface.

I can select 'full desktop site' but that just takes me to the default landing page for the forum and not to the full site version of the page I was on. So I then have to go hunting down the thread I was on.

Very frustrating.

I'd love a usable iPhone interface as a preference but will settle for just defaulting to the full desktop site if necessary. I just want to switch off the far too basic read-only site.

Any chance?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm going to pass along your concern to our iNet folks. Are you seeing the same thing on your iPad? The reason I ask is I can get to the full thread on my iPad, however, I do not at present own an iPhone.

I.M.O.G.

Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I believe Mac's are meant to be admired, not owned
I just had to do that to reply on my Nexus 4. Select full site link at the footer, use the back function of the browser, then I got the desktop version of this thread. Non-optimal.

I would think changing this behavior is a simple URL change on the full site link in the footer. I will ask and get back to you.

OP
mrplow
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
iPad is fine, full desktop site works brilliantly. That's what it defaults to.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I gave up on using the Safari web browser.

Using Atomic Browser - in the settings for "Identify Browser As", I have it set to Firefox 15.
Just about always get full web sites with that setting instead of some iPhone browser which pretty much sucks on most web sites. (Well, they could be better now. Probably been 2 years I've been using this setting.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Same issue here. I always get the mobile read-only version. I select full version (which doesen't seem to persist between sessions), and then have to track down the thread to post in it. It's partly why I don't post as much as I use to (other than a quick comment) - physically at work (using iPhone) more and on my MBA less often. Too much a hassle to mess with posting most of the time on the iPhone.

OP
mrplow
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Atomic is a great browser but, unfortunately, the link in an email will only open Safari so it's still a copy, open, paste job.

I.M.O.G.

Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's a real pain. I've got a feature ticket in to fix the way it works. It shouldn't have ever worked the way it does, but thats what we have now, so I'm hopeful we can make it work better soon.

OP
mrplow
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's great news

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
That's a real pain. I've got a feature ticket in to fix the way it works. It shouldn't have ever worked the way it does, but thats what we have now, so I'm hopeful we can make it work better soon.

Any update on this, IMOG?

If we can't get this working in short order, I would prefer to just turn it off as the default skin until the devs can figure it out.

Thanks.

I.M.O.G.

Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The ticket is in the work queue, however our team has gotten behind on maintenance tasks due to some top priority enhancements to various sites. I just asked, and I'm told that when the weekly dev cycle starts this Wednesday, we'll have more of our resources back on maintenance tasks, which should help tickets like this one get resolved.

The ticket was submitted on 1/14, so it will be 3 weeks on Thursday. That sort of turnaround time on an issue like this is a problem for us, and I've made that clear. My boss just made it a top priority for the coming week for our group, so that increases chances that it will get attention sooner.

I don't know how to turn it off as the default mobile skin, otherwise I would do so until we had a solution in place. Right now, my understanding is that it might get done in the next week. But at worst, it could take 2 to 3 more weeks to get dev time assigned. Getting work like this done more responsively has been a priority for me every day for the past year, and I keep voicing this to management. I think it especially important with items like this which should have been done correctly to start, but somehow were not... When things require revisiting like this, it seems like they take the longest.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I understand Matt. Thanks for pushing it along.

Though I can manage with Chrome on the iPhone, it's a bit of a pain when reacting to emails and has been a source of frustration for some time now.

I.M.O.G.

Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ya, its a stupid problem, and should be easy to fix. Frustrating.

OP
mrplow
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do you have an update this at all?

I.M.O.G.

Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It was resolved weeks ago. If you are still having trouble, please describe it for me.

OP
mrplow
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Perhaps I misunderstood the solution. I'm still dropping into the read-only view but full desktop site link does now stay on the same thread. Was that the solution?

I.M.O.G.

Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Correct, the specific item fixed was reading a thread, and switching from mobile to desktop view directly, without losing the thread.

OP
mrplow
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

I.M.O.G.

Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is there something else you'd like fixed too? We could look at it.

I'm also hoping to bring tapatalk over, as they've changed their pricing scheme, and we're currently running tapatalk for android and iOS on webhostingtalk... That way we can have a mobile experience that you can actually post in!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.