Locking widgets in place

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4GHz Mid 2010, iPad3, OSX 10.9.2
Greetings all,

Having had my MBP for over a year now, it is taking time to completely migrate, but I'm getting there. Next on my "to find out list" is how to lock widgets in place on the dashboard.

Some stay in place but the World Clock and Weather widgets move around (ie. will not stay where I put them) every time I open dashboard.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Welcome to the forums . . .

The first thing i do when i get a new OS is to get rid of Dashboard completly because frankly is annoying and takes up precious RAM.

BUT as far as i can remember the position of your widgets should stay in the place you put them.
All i can offer as help is to 1. [URL="http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US”]eset SMC ~ Apple KB[/URL]
and 2. is to Repair Permissions via Disk Utility found in the Utilities folder in Applications. Open it then Select Macintosh HD in the left coulumn, First Aid tab up the top and then click the Repair Disk Permissions down the bottom of that window. Log out then back in. Dont be concerned about all the errors in the Log Window as they have no relevance.

Once you have done that, see what happens with your widgets and report back.

HTH

TM

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the quick reply. I will try that, but am a bit nervous about doing it right now. I am working in the sticks in India, far from home and my MBP is my lifeline.

I use Unit Convertor, Currency Convertor and four World Clocks a lot for work so I really need to keep them.

Thank you for your advice, I will let you know when I try.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Anything i have suggested cant and wont screw anything up, but as always if you can, do a backup of your system. Im thinking because of where you are, you have a working backup, but if not, one is always advisable . . .

Cheers

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, you have prompted me to make a backup (as I write). Should have addressed this long ago....I will then try the fix.

The more I use the Mac side, the more I like it. Only use XP with VM Fusion for Quicken 2002 (!) and email now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, you have prompted me to make a backup (as I write).

This has made me happy. Hopefully a potenial meltdown, now with a backup, you have nothing to fear :)

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good morning,

Time machine is fine and doing snapshots.

I did Verify Permissions and all went well. There were a lot of errors as you said. I brought Dashboard up a few times and did a restart and the widgets are still in place. Have even lined them up with the dots on the background (!) Funny how small things can annoy and others don't. I think you have fixed it my man! Many thanks and again for the prompt to do backup.

So is Verify Permissions the best place to start if something starts behaving differently?

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So is Verify Permissions the best place to start if something starts behaving differently?

Regards.

Glad to be of assistance. Yes Verify Permissions and/or restart will sought most of the problems out with your Mac.
Instead of using the Mac’s Disk Utility to Verify, alot around here use [URL="http://www.titanium.free.fr/downloadonyx.php”]Oynx[/URL] to do a more thorough job and deeper clean up of the OS. Havnt used it personally as i like MainMenu, but if you download this (make sure its the version for the OS you are running) run the full suite of Maintenance Tools available and everything should be OK.

Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.