How would my experience be

Reaction score
Hi Everyone.

I currently have a windows machine. Core i7 2.6 ghz processor. 12 gig ram, 128gb SSD.

I am looking at purchasing this mac book pro:

13-inch: 2.5GHz

2.5GHz dual-core Intel Core i5
Turbo Boost up to 3.1GHz
4GB 1600MHz memory
500GB 5400-rpm hard drive1
Intel HD Graphics 4000
Built-in battery (7 hours)2

How would my experience be? Better or worse? I know the spec is lower in the mac, but you hear all sorts of magical things about mac (they optimise their hardware to better run with their software etc)

Want to get the mac pro but just don't want to spend £1000 and have an experience worse than the computer i paid £800 for 3 years ago!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Macs use commodity x86 hardware - there is no special sauce that will somehow make the machine dramatically faster, all things being equal, other than the fact that you don't have to bog the machine down with resource-crushing AV and security suites.

And as far as your experience goes, it really depends on what you do with the machine - and we'd need to know some more specs for your current Windows box (like whether it has a discrete graphics card).

For example, if you're gaming a lot on a high end graphics card, then going to a machine with integrated graphics is going to be a substantial downgrade.

C

chas_m

On the other hand, if you've been looking for a system that works very PRODUCTIVELY and EFFICIENTLY, then you might be delighted with the Mac system.

Stay tuned for news on a new Mac Pro coming later this year. Said to be a total overhaul.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.