Change bootcamp to parallels?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook Pro 2.26 GHz Intel Core Duo 4GB 1067 MHz DDR3
Hello,

I'm considering deleting the Windows xp partition on my MacBook Pro and using parallels instead (I was using the windows side more often while in school). I'm doing this while upgrading to 8GB RAM and a 256 GB SSD.

Has anyone done this? Is this a terrible/useless idea?

The primary motivation for deleting the BootCamp partition is I've noticed both sides run slower when I initially switch back and forth. After booting one side repeatedly, the computer speeds up. I thought I would just eliminate the poor performance by switching to Paralleles--I don't do any high-CPU demand stuff on this computer.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
If you don't need to be running Windows natively its a perfectly good idea.

Though you may want to look at VirtualBox rather than Parallels

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks! I'll look into that.

C

chas_m

ISTR that you can use an existing Boot Camp-assisted install of Windows as your virtual machine in Parallels, perhaps in Virtualbox too for all I know.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks. I ended up using Parallels and the Bootcamp partition, which was really easy; however, the windows VM is waaaaaaaay slower than native. I'm a bit disappointed so far.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Thanks. I ended up using Parallels and the Bootcamp partition, which was really easy; however, the windows VM is waaaaaaaay slower than native. I'm a bit disappointed so far.

How much RAM did you dedicate to your VM when it is in use?

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
...I didn't know you could do that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
A virtual machine will always run slower than bootcamp - but it shouldn't be way slower for most tasks.

You can allocate Video RAM as well to help boost video performance if that is an issue.

Reaction score
To set the RAM allocated to parallels you can go to: Virtual Machine > Configure > General

IMO if you don't need to be switching constantly between both your operating systems then bootcamp will be a better option :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
A virtual machine will always run slower than bootcamp - but it shouldn't be way slower for most tasks.

Especially with the RAM and SSD upgrade.

Perhaps there is something else slowing down the OP's computer because he mentions in his original post that it was slow in OSX and XP.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.