slow mac

Reaction score
How long have you use mac?
And compare to what that you conclude mac is so slow?

OP
K
Reaction score
My Power Mac is I got to say about 10 yrs. and counting.Upgraded from Panther to Leopard 10.5.4 from a pro in Albany.NY.System seems to run smooth except on Safari & listening to iTunes. Once in a while everything freezes (screen,mouse,can`t navigate whatsoever) and music skips.
My system as follows: Power Mac G5
1.6 GHz Power PC G5
1G Ram
I`m not a gamer.I don`t store alot , or download much other than music I purchase from iTunes store. I store photos, but after awhile I`ll download on a cd.
I read something about maybe a ram upgrade? Also I notice a slow down on the internet.Our internet service is Frontiernet. DSL.Yeah, I know what you are going to say.But thats all they offer in our area.We are close to where a Roadrunner service is available,but not to us.
Edwin

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13” i5 (2012) , iPhone5 16GB (white), iPhone4 8GB (white), iPad2 64GB 3G, Apple TV
I think it is time for a new Mac.

OP
K
Reaction score
Yeah, you are probably right, but I`ve always said,when something works stick with. With only minor difficulties,maybe a tweek here or there? Although the new iMac has caught my interest. But no disc drive???????

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Download Onyx for PowerPC and run that. And the day of the disc drive is behind us. Flash drives do more than a disc could and software is available for download. The same thing happened when the original iMac did away with the floppy.

OP
K
Reaction score
Onyx for power pc huh? Disc drives are the past, then how will I download all my music & photos to a flash drive? Wow another problem to deal with. Got to love it. But I see what you mean. No more updates for my OS Leopard, Safari,etc,etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac (Mid 2011), 3.4GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB RAM, 2GB Video Card, 2TB HDD
...then how will I download all my music & photos to a flash drive?

USB flash drives are easy. They act like plug and play hard drives but are small enough to fit in your pocket. Just go to any local computer store and pick one up (make sure to get one that holds enough to fit your needs), plug it in to any available USB port, and it will pop up on your desktop. You can just drag files right into it like you do hard drives or folders.

When finished, drag the USB flash drive icon to the trash to eject it then you can safely unplug it from the computer and take your files on the go.

If you really just can't part with an optical drive yet (like me!), then Apple still sells external superdrives for around 20 or 30 dollars.

C

chas_m

Actually the Apple superdrive is $80.

But you can easily obtain non-Apple brand superdrives that will work just fine for around the figure Adric mentioned.

OP
K
Reaction score
To All,
Thanks for all the useful info. Put Onyx on, it seems to help. For the flash drive info for a new iMac, I guess it doesn`t sound as complicated as thought. And again thanks everyone
for your input.
kwikslvr

OP
K
Reaction score
Any of you that have replied, does any of you have an iMac? Let me know if you are a repeat buyer of one ,and are you satisfied? Like I have stated, I`ve had my G-5 for 10 years. Used to be a Windows follower. To think of all the money we went through for that! I am a true believer of Apple. And again other than my Mac slowing down some, I`m more than satisfied.
kwikslvr

C

chas_m

I've never met any iMac buyer who ever bought anything else but iMacs from then on, unless they had to move to a MacBook Pro or Air for some reason. "Satisfied" doesn't even begin to cover it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Went from a Mac Pro to an iMac and very happy as chas_m implies. Have used Mac Pros, G5 and G4 PwerMacs, G3 iMacs and earlier Performas and LC's.

OP
K
Reaction score
system crash

TO THOSE OF YOU,A CHALLENGE:
I had a system freeze (crash) just recently.I had to shut my system down by pushing button on the front of my tower.Nothing else would work for me to shut system down.I booted back up and went to my crash log and it read as follows:
0500:permissions differ on System/Library/CoreServices/FrontRow. Row.App/Contents/Plug ins/FR Settings.fr appliance/contents/coreresources",
should be -rw-r--r-- .They are lrw-r--r--.

I`m guessing that I have a problem (conflict ) with my front row app? I went to my Apps and double clicked on front row and my screen went dark and showed pictures, movies etc.that I could bring up, but I can`t seem to get to the Front rowfile in upper left corner,so I can get to the preferences so I can maybe shut this off? Anyone?
kwikslvr

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do not worry about the permissions thing. Means nothing. Don;t use Front Row leave for others. Would imagine a Quicksilver would be the absolute bare minimum however. Update to OS X.5.8 and see if any improvements.

OP
K
Reaction score
What would be a good reader / player for my system? I hear so many bad things about flash player. Anyone?

C

chas_m

What is it that you're trying to "read/play" exactly?

Preview reads most PDF documents just fine, and is already there. iTunes plays almost all common music formats, QuickTime (once you install the free Flip4Mac WMV Player and Perian) will play most video formats just fine, and VLC or MPlayer are available for video and audio as well if you prefer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.