What happend??

Reaction score
i went into bootcamp, checked to load from dvd, and put in my windows 8 dvd, it installed - but i cant access wifi interet and when i reboot mac it only boots into windows8!!!???

so i did command+ r on bootup and did the disk utilities thing, and nuked the HDD and am installing osx on 'untitled' hdd, and it started downloading...which has 3 hours remaining???

they said this was a simple process what did i do wrojng??? :'(

nothing ever works out for me in life

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
i went into bootcamp, checked to load from dvd, and put in my windows 8 dvd, it installed - but i cant access wifi interet and when i reboot mac it only boots into windows8!!!???

Did you install the BootCamp drivers?
Did you click on the BootCamp icon in Windows and select the 'Restart in OS X' option?
Did you try holding the 'option' key down while you re-booted so that it would give you the boot menu (option) to select which OS you want to boot to?

so i did command+ r on bootup and did the disk utilities thing, and nuked the HDD and am installing osx on 'untitled' hdd, and it started downloading...which has 3 hours remaining???

they said this was a simple process what did i do wrojng??? :'(

nothing ever works out for me in life

Can't repeat this enough - Open BootCamp Assistant - right there on the first window - click on the "Print Installation and Setup Guide". Print it, read it. At least twice all the way through before you start. It'll take you maybe 15-20 minutes - to read it twice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Boot holding down Option and see if Mac OS X partition is still there. It is very, very simple to format the Mac OS X partition, install Windows and then that is all you have. Did you print and read the guidelines in BootCamp Assistant? Always read the instructions.

OP
Sento
Reaction score
it erased and installed - im on 10.8.2 now ^^ and its fresh and like new!

my HDD name is untitled though :/ what was the original name? I named it "Mac OSX HD" is that cool enough?

btw it says 'install windows 7' so does that mean 8 is not supported?

so just to be clear - i did the disk utilies, nuked my drive then reinstalled lion....so am i good as new and fresh again?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Yes as good as new. Call the disk what you like even "&*^%$%# thingo' if that turns you on. Maybe the Windows 8 disc is an upgrade?

OP
Sento
Reaction score
Yes as good as new. Call the disk what you like even "&*^%$%# thingo' if that turns you on.

right on, im so glad to have built in recovery

on your sig it talks about old macs where u need the disc it came with....if someone lost em by chacne are they SOL? or can they order a new snow leopard disc from apple.com and fresh install with it?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Snow Leopard is available once again from the Apple online store. It is currently $19.99 US. That disc could be used for a fresh install of Snow Leopard.

OP
Sento
Reaction score
Okay read the manual.

so basically i start bootcamp assistant, make the parititon, then download the windows drivers, burn them to a dvd, then insert windows 8 dvd and instal windows 8, then insert drivers dvd and install drivers, and i should be g2g?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's pretty much it. I did this recently when I moved fem Windows XP to Win 8 (not by choice). I would add the following suggestions:

1. Think a bit about how much space you need for Windows. Of you make the partition to small it will definitely annoy you to have to go back later and enlarge it,

2. Pay attention to the messages on screen (especially when Windows asks to format the partition. I have seen reports of users accidentally erasing their OS X partition accidentally.

3. Unless it has been changed very recently the Bootcamp Assistant will tell you that it is downloading Windows 7 drivers. They seem to have worked fine for me with Windows 8, I think I loaded them from a thumb drive rather than burned to DVD but that works as well.

OP
Sento
Reaction score
so if i use bootcamp and delete thew indows partition - how do i merge that unallocated space back to my mac HD?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
If you use Bootcamp to both make the partition and later delete it, it recovers the space and adds it back to the OSX partition automatically.

OP
Sento
Reaction score
very cool! starting to see why people like macs! now i can play swtor on this!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Let me know how well it plays. Wife plays on her PC. Since we may be in the market to replace the now dead Mac Pro I am curious how well it runs on Macs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.