Copy Protect Software for Mac Files

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I need software that will work on a MAC that allows a file on a thumb drive to be viewed (like a pdf) and locked so that the thumb drive is needed in order to view the file.

This is needed for a specialized class that the instructors want their copyrighted material to not allow copying to another computer to be used by a non-student.

The file cannot be printed or if it is, it is low resolution with a watermark.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in Advance.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Not any way I've heard of.

If a file can be seen on a particular machine, it can be copied. You're not going to be able to allow a file to be opened, yet not allow it to be copied. Once opened, the file is already in the memory of the host machine.

Even if you set up the files (like a pdf) so that an application on the flash drive is required to open the file - once opened, a simple print screen / screen capture is all it would take to essentially have a copy of a pdf.

Adobe Acrobat will do some of what you're asking - but not all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
I found this
USB Copy Protection | Nexcopy Incorporated
But minimum order is 20 and they want you to call them - ergo this isn't your daddy's $8 Flash Drive.
Edit: Never used it but was interested in your question so I have no personal experience with this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.