Could it be DOA?

N

nickuss04

Hi,

We have just recently received a large order of eMacs for our campus. I have so far set-up 26 units (out of 70). When setting up the machines, we just NetBoot straight out of the box. Out of the 26 eMacs, 2 start to netboot......flashing blue globe...then spinning grey globe....then the spinning glode disappears and just left with the grey apple logo on white background. It stalls at that point and goes no further. They also stall there when just booting out of the box (normally before the fancy Welcome video starts). They refuse to boot to both CD and external HDD. All the other eMacs have worked fine.

Could this mean a Dead On Arrival or is there a possible fix?

Cheers.

OP
N

nickuss04

Just Remembered something I didnt mention above. We did add a stick of RAM (from 256 to 768) to each machine last year when the order arrived.

I havn't been working with Mac's for long and as yet have not encountered incorrectly installed RAM. What indications does the Mac give that the RAM may be installed incorrectly or faulty?

I'll try re-inserting the memory on Monday and see what happens.

Any replies would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini DC 1.66, Powerbook G4
Rather than re-inserting at first, you could try taking out the RAM you have added on the two machines that won't work correctly and then boot up to see what happens.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.