deleted dual boot partition, macbook paperweight; HELP

Reaction score
when i was trying to downgrade my macbook(early 2008) from lion back to snow leopard i accidently deleted both partitions and the cd i had would install after i already deleted the partitions, i was using refit as the boot loader and had ubuntu on it as well.

now all i have is the mac start up sound and a folder with a question mark and i tried all keys. the install dvd is still in the drive. but i know i really messed it up this time.

just want to get it back to snowleopard.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Boot holding down Option after the start up sound. Do you see the OSX DVD there? If so, click it and on the up arrow. See if the installer starts.

OP
D
Reaction score
Boot holding down Option after the start up sound. Do you see the OSX DVD there? If so, click it and on the up arrow. See if the installer starts.

ive done all that, i spoke to a mac repair dude in my city he said id need a mac rebuild($100) can i do it myself or not worth the headache??

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Why would you need to rebuild the machine because you deleted the partitions? Rebuild what?

What shows up with Option held down? Does the OSX DVD show up under that menu? If so what happens if you click on it?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Also have you tried resetting the PRAM? Power on and after the start up sound hold down Command+Option+P+R. KEEP all 4 keys down and wait for two startup sounds. Then try to boot from the DVD.

OP
D
Reaction score
Also have you tried resetting the PRAM? Power on and after the start up sound hold down Command+Option+P+R. KEEP all 4 keys down and wait for two startup sounds. Then try to boot from the DVD.

yes ive tried the pram.. nothing comes up just the sound thena folder witha question mark... :/ he said hed have to reflash firmware etc.. or something

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you hold down option after the sound you do not get a menu?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you boot after the startup sound with the C key held down, anything happen? I am starting to wonder if your DVD Drive is having issues.

OP
D
Reaction score
If you boot after the startup sound with the C key held down, anything happen? I am starting to wonder if your DVD Drive is having issues.

this time it was a grey screen with just the mouse showing nothing else. i was able to finally eject the dvd with snow on it (burned) and i just threw it away.. so now have the option of optical or usb install i guesss? but no menu comes uppp so idk how either will be possible

C

chas_m

Oh, you're using a PIRATED copy of Snow Leopard! Why didn't you say so??

Throw that piece of junk out the window and go buy a LEGAL copy of Snow Leopard from Apple ($20, just give em a call). Problem solved.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.