Mac multi media converter

Reaction score
Hello,

I just bought a Network Hard drive an want organize my media to most commun format, what would you consider the best all around multi media converter for MAC ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
If you are looking to move video to a single format that is the most "Mac Friendly" (whatever that means) I would say the format would be .m4v. For the converter I would highly recommend Handbrake over any other media converter available for the Mac. It's free, constantly being developed (nightly drops allow you to build newer versions regularly if desired) and is easy to use.

I've never used iSksoft but I haven't read anything particularly good about it.

FYI, it's "Mac" not "MAC". If you want to understand the difference, consult Google or wikipedia.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
I favour Video Monkey, Handbrake, FFMpegX or MPEGStreamclip

I wouldn't touch iSkySoft stuff.

I'd go for MP4/M4V as a format. Just about every device (Apple and others) supports that now

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Just for the record, iSkysoft is spamware and their minions spam the same software across the web under at least a dozen different names.

C

chas_m

Agree with bobtomay. I recently purchased iFFmpeg (for a measly $12) because it was the only video converter program that would properly re-encode JUST the audio on some video files I wanted to put on my iPad. It does a nice job with whatever I give it, but yes, depending on your needs MPEG Streamclip (free) or Handbrake (free, needs VLC which is also free), or Video Monkey (free) or Miro Video Converter (free) may do the job for you. I also like the look of Permute ($10), which does batch encoding with a beautifully minimalist interface.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.