Creating a nonwindows partition.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Core i7 2.3ghz retina-MacBook OS 10.9.1
I plan to install a linux based operating system on my computer. I have already used bootcamp to create a windows partition.

I'd like to use bootcamp due to its ease of restoring a partition.

Do I need to somehow trick bootcamp into creating another partition?

edit: can i also set osx as my default os so that bootcamp won't show up unless i hit option?

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm gonna bump this thread because I like bootcamps ability to boot to a default OS rather than ask me every time I turn on my computer.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I believe all I have to do is open bootcamp and pretend like I have a Windows .iso. I'll post my results here.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You can install Linux with the Boot Camp assistant, however, you're going to have to improvise along the way. For example: You obviously can not install any distro of Linux to a FAT-32 or NTFS partition. Also a bit of caution.... GRUB can be unpredictable on occasion. You don't want to overwrite your OS X EFI boot sector with GRUB, so be careful.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You can install Linux with the Boot Camp assistant, however, you're going to have to improvise along the way. For example: You obviously can not install any distro of Linux to a FAT-32 or NTFS partition. Also a bit of caution.... GRUB can be unpredictable on occasion. You don't want to overwrite your OS X EFI boot sector with GRUB, so be careful.

Dude you are exactly the person I need to talk to. What is grub? What is Gnome and KDE?

And what kind of file partition exists besides NTFS and FAT-32. Obviously I will need to play around with it but if you answer these questions I'll feel a lot better.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Dude you are exactly the person I need to talk to. What is grub? What is Gnome and KDE?

And what kind of file partition exists besides NTFS and FAT-32. Obviously I will need to play around with it but if you answer these questions I'll feel a lot better.

Based solely on these questions, I would STRONGLY recommend that you have a good backup before proceeding with installing Linux or anything..

GRUB is bootloader used to load Linux. GNOME and KDE are two popular desktop environments..GNOME uses GTK at it's core and KDE uses Qt..

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Based solely on these questions, I would STRONGLY recommend that you have a good backup before proceeding with installing Linux or anything..

GRUB is bootloader used to load Linux. GNOME and KDE are two popular desktop environments..GNOME uses GTK at it's core and KDE uses Qt..

Thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.