Parallels

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2020 M1 MB Air
Parallels - it's good isn't it?

My only previous dealings with virtual machines was with VirtualBox, which I thought was quite neat if a little buggy.
So having bought my new rMBP I thought it likely that I'd need Windows on it (as I have car diagnostic software which only runs on Windows), so I had a mooch about and decided to install Parallels trial version.
It's installed and I've got Ubuntu and Windows 8 virtual machines.
I must say that I'm very impressed with Parallels. Much snappier and less buggy than VB for sure. It's actually quite smooth running and a pleasure to use.
I may have to buy the thing now! ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
I've tried VMWare, Parallels, and VirtualBox - and I've stuck with Parallels on the Mac. VMWare is what my industry uses - and it is quite good - on all platforms. (I've used VMWare on Linux and Windows as well as Mac) It's just when I switched to Mac - I wasn't satisfied with the way VMWare was performing - so I tried parallels (Back in 2009) I think VMWare has closed the gap but I'm one of those - if it ain't broke, don't fix it so I've stuck with Parallels - still pleased with the performance - but to give everything a fair shake - you should try the latest VMWare since you are still trying things out.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I have used previous versions to access a website that only world with Windows and IE. I am currently running Fusion which also works well. In fact I am about to create a Win 8 virtual machine so I do not have to reboot just to access that site.

IvanLaston is right the gap between the two programs seems to have closed. I am using Fusion mainly because I was able to pick up licenses as part of two different software bundles cheap.

Guess it is info like that that made him MOTM. Belated congrats BTW

OP
MacDuck
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2020 M1 MB Air
Thanks IvanLasston, I did look at MNWare but wasn't sure whether VMWare Player was enough. Is it? I certainly didn't fancy the price tag of the workstation!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Player is enough if you have an image - and you are never going to change configuration (hence the name Player) You don't really need workstation - unless you have some requirements you aren't telling us about. For most users VMWare Fusion is plenty - and is $49 USD regularly. As Slydude said - you can usually find Fusion or Parallels as part of a bundle - so if you aren't in a rush you could keep an eye out on the bundle sites.

OP
MacDuck
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2020 M1 MB Air
Ok thanks for that guys. I'll keep my eyes open.
Realistically my only use for Windows will be the car diagnostic software - so hopefully not too often then.
That's it really. My Mac is good for everything else :)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@MacDuck unless your diagnostic software has some hideous system requirements give this version a try.There is a free trial which I think lasts 30 days.

OP
MacDuck
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2020 M1 MB Air
Thanks Slydude, that's another on the list :)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just tried to edit the post to add info on Mountain Lion compatibility but I must have hit the wrong button.

BTW that version does not set you back in the triple digits. Unless of course you decide to send the saving to my replace the dead Mac fund I will be starting. lol

OP
MacDuck
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2020 M1 MB Air
Thanks again Slydude.
By the way whats MOTM? Man of the month? Maccer of the month?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Maccer of the month. I like that. Maybe we need to change it.

MOTM = Member of the Month.Each month forum mods nominate four members for their positive contributions. Near the end of the month s poll is posted and members get to choose one of the four people as MOTM.

The winner gets that shiny yellow badge that you see bt his name. I think a premium membership is also included as a perk. IIRC.

OP
MacDuck
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2020 M1 MB Air
Oh I see!
In that case congratulations IvanLasston!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks! I'll go with Maccer of the Month.

OP
MacDuck
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2020 M1 MB Air
Actually guys I'm just thinking.
I've VM'd the Windows 8 preview system (temporarily) to see how it works.
I have a windows 8 OS on my Vaio (recently upgraded) but you can't make a VM from an upgrade disc or a recovery disc can you? Am I expected to buy it again for use in a vm?

Lol, ok Maccer!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Keep in mind the Windows 8 Preview expires Jan 16th. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unfortunately - those disks that come with a system - are not general Windows Disks. So Although you got Windows with your Windows PC - you do not have a general copy of Windows. I don't know of any OEMs anymore - sending a generic windows disk with their systems. So the answer is yes you are expected to buy it again. Fortunately Windows 8 upgrade isn't too bad
Microsoft Store Online

And I think you can convert your physical machine to a VIrtual Machine - but you'll have to read the EULA to see if this is actually legal. (Sony/Microsoft may not allow it from the EULA)
VMware vCenter Converter, Convert Physical Machines to Virtual Machines

And Maybe It should be MacDaddy of the Month ;)

OP
MacDuck
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2020 M1 MB Air
IvanLasston, your first link is the one where I got the upgrade package from (though the UK version) but I don't think that is usable in a vm is it? I have that one on a disc (but no cd drive till Monday/Tuesday).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That wasn't clear. It is supposed to be an upgrade - which is why I recommended making a vm from your actual pc. You probably want an oem disk if you want to start from scratch.
Amazon.co.uk: Windows 8

OP
MacDuck
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2020 M1 MB Air
Thanks Maccer of the month! I've seen that as a possibility but no idea how to achieve it. As I have no intention of buying Win 8 again I'll need to look into that. Do you join the 2 computers by a lead or something? I'll have to find out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.