New iTunes questions ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac air,iPad mini,ipods
Thanks in advance as always for the great help !

1. How can I determine how large a file is a particular playlist? I know it is 66 songs as well as 4.1 hrs. Looking to get a 2 gig shuffle and want to find parameters to see it will work for me.

2. Have a Mac Air with the g drive holding my iTunes file. Will I be able to add to said playlist?

Many Thanks

Bob J

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
This idea should do what you need. The icon for Smart Playlist may be different in the current iTunes but you can get the same effect by going to the File menu and choosing New then Smart Playlist.

I notice though in re-reading the post that you seem to already have a playlist created and this does not work for that situation. Unless of course you can create a set of rules that makes the Smart Playlist contain the same stuff as your current playlist.

In theory you could have multiple smart playlist. with different rules, thus different music in each, but the same size limit.

Adding/changing the content of a playlist does not depend upon what drive is holding your iTunes library (content). As long as the drive is available iTunes will be good to go.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
1. How can I determine how large a file is a particular playlist? I know it is 66 songs as well as 4.1 hrs. Looking to get a 2 gig shuffle and want to find parameters to see it will work for me.
Right click > Get Info > Summary > Size. If you select multiple songs, the information will be visible in the status bar (if that isn't visible, go to View > Show Status Bar).

2. Have a Mac Air with the g drive holding my iTunes file. Will I be able to add to said playlist?
If something is in your iTunes library, you can use iTunes to transfer it to the iPod.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Slick Van don't know how I forgot that trick for summary size.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I didn't become Dark Lord through luck. ;)

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac air,iPad mini,ipods
Thanks all...did the trick

Bob J

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.