Problems with MBPRetina and Lion 10.8.2

Reaction score
Hi All,
I'm a virgin to Mac and this forum. I have a Mac Book Pro Retina (Lion 10.8.2), hopefully you can help as MacSupport has been AWOL.
1. When I re-open a created RTF or RTFD the document is crowded with codes eg: {\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252\cocoartf1187\cocoasubrtf340
{\fonttbl\f0\fswiss\fcharset0 Helvetica;}
Can you suggest what I or the Retina is doing wrong and how to rectify?
2. How do I remove security passwords to open both Mac programs and Windows or Parallels pages? Always enering passwords is time-consuming and annoying.
3. I can get rid of Microsoft Powerpoint that opens automatically when I open Windows 7?
4. Any suggestions how to reduce the heat of the MBP Retina when I'm using FCP? I have smsFanControl, but FCP is running at 97-105 degrees.

I really appreciate your thoughts, suggestions, advice here. Many thanks.
Cheers, Schbang. :D

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to the Mac Forums.

Not sure what you mean by Mac support has been AWOL? Have you been in contact with Apple support via phone or at an Apple store? Apple support is usually very good and customer service is excellent.

1. What kind of document is it? It appears to be code?

2. Not sure what you're referring to regarding passwords. OS X unlike Windows will require you to enter your admin password when installing software or if something is trying to make changes to the system. If you're being asked to provide a password to run applications, then it's likely a permissions problem.

3. If PP is opening when you start Windows, then it's probably in your startup folder. Open the folder and remove Powerpoint.exe.

4. Get rid of SMCFanControl. Uninstall it. It's not necessary - your machine is not overheating. The temperatures are normal. All notebook computers whether they be a Mac or PC are designed to run warm.

OP
S
Reaction score
Problems with MBP heat; changing document formats; freezing pages

Hi Staff,
Many thanks for your time and efforts with your reply - I'll answer each point you raised below:

Not sure what you mean by Mac support has been AWOL? Have you been in contact with Apple support via phone or at an Apple store? Apple support is usually very good and customer service is excellent.
- Phone call with Mac Support - was a 74 minute conversation that only yielded "yes that seems to be running hot" from him. Not much help at all, and no resolution.
Mac Support email is impossible here in Thailand - any email attempt is flummoxed.

1. What kind of document is it? It appears to be code?
- A text RTF or RTFD document which is crowded with codes such as:
{\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252\cocoartf1187\cocoasubrtf34 0
{\fonttbl\f0\fswiss\fcharset0 Helvetica;}
Today my Mac docs are opening then losing their text and pages.
An outlook is frozen on my screen.
What is the best Mac version of Word that is reliable and I can purchase?

2. Not sure what you're referring to regarding passwords. OS X unlike Windows will require you to enter your admin password when installing software or if something is trying to make changes to the system. If you're being asked to provide a password to run applications, then it's likely a permissions problem.
- Yes still asking for passwords to open Windows 7 or other Windows documents. Don't know how to fix this at all. Any suggestions? Please detail your steps, as I'm new to the Mac layout.

3. If PP is opening when you start Windows, then it's probably in your startup folder. Open the folder and remove Powerpoint.exe.
Thank you. Where do I find this 'folder' you mentioned and how do I remove it?

4. Get rid of SMCFanControl. Uninstall it. It's not necessary - your machine is not overheating. The temperatures are normal. All notebook computers whether they be a Mac or PC are designed to run warm.
- Actually it is HOT not warm, I bought an external keyboard because it was too uncomfortable. MacSupport advised me(during the 74 minute conversation) to use the SMCFanControl plus a desk/fan unit.
Any suggestions would be so appreciated.
Cheers, Schbang.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Merged your new thread back into the original. You need to keep ongoing posts in this same thread - not start a new one.

OP
S
Reaction score
Many thanks. Couldn't find the method to thread my response to your yours. Thanks so much for your time and efforts with any advice. Cheers, Schbang.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.