How do I use the SuperDrive of a Macbook Pro (latest version)?

Reaction score
If I try to put a CD into the SuperDrive, nothing happens. (The guy at the Apple Store said that the CD should automatically go in the SuperDrive.) In System Preferences (in CDs & DVDs), I set it so that when I insert a music CD, it will open in iTunes. This is the first time I have tried to use the SuperDrive, and there's some sort of foamy looking thing in it. (I think I'm supposed to take it out, but I don't know how.)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The foam is to keep out the dirt. There is a slit in the foam where the DVD slides in.

What happens when you insert a DVD or CD and push it almost all the way in? Does the drive not suck it in?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
This is the first time I have tried to use the SuperDrive, and there's some sort of foamy looking thing in it. (I think I'm supposed to take it out, but I don't know how.)

If this "foamy looking thing" is what I think it is (a flat styrofoam disk)...it's inside the Superdrive as vibration protection for the Superdrive during shipping. You most definitely need to remove it BEFORE trying to insert any sort of disk into the Superdrive.

To remove the disk either:

- press the Superdrive eject disk key (usually the upper-right most key on a MacBook Pro keyboard)...with the underlined-triangle symbol on it.
- while the MacBook Pro is booting...press & hold down the trackpad (as if you were "clicking"/selecting something)

This should eject the foam disk from the Superdrive.

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
@dtravis7 Sorry, I just made several really stupid mistakes. I have a blank CD and a CD with music burned on it and they look the same. I tried putting the blank CD in, and since my system preference for blank CDs is ignore, nothing happened. But thanks anyways!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
cMBP 13" mid-2012, 2.9 ghz i7, 8gb ram, 256 gb SSD,
My mid 2012 MBP didn't come with anything in the drive. Is that normal? Or is this a new thing with late 2012 MBP's?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
My mid 2012 MBP didn't come with anything in the drive. Is that normal? Or is this a new thing with late 2012 MBP's?

If my earlier comments are what is confusing things...I'm probably wrong. I was only guessing what could be wrong based on the OP's description of the situation.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.