I secure erased my SSD, did I screw it up?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2013 rMBP 2.3ghz i7: 16gb, 500gb; MacMini 2.3ghz i7: 16gb 128gb 840 pro, 1tb hdd; ATV1(OE), ATV2
I got a brand new Samsung 840 Pro and when I got it I installed OS X and realized I didnt want the version that I installed and decided to wipe and install ML. Well I decided to do a 7 pass secure erase... why not right? I have never had any issues secure erasing a hard drive before so I did it. I then tried a little partition fiddling and tried a dual boot Ubuntu partition, didnt like what I came out with and decided to do a 3 pass erase.

Is my SSD okay? I have it plugged in via USB so I cant do a speed read. Should I just call Samsung and use my 5 year warrantee? Help

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Am trying to wrap my head around why you would even consider a secure erase on any drive that had nothing on it but a fresh install of an OS instead of just formatting it. Do you like wearing your drives out early?

And we would have no idea if there is anything wrong with it, you haven't told us there is anything wrong with it. Why do you think anything is wrong with it?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.