How do I open a MRI CD?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini,Ver.10.14.6, 3.6 GHz Intel Core i3, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB
I have an MRI CD of my back which I can't open on my Macmini running Snow Leopard 10.6.8. The read me instructions say it will work on MS XP. So is there a way to get it to work on my Mac or do I have to send the file to my netbook which runs XP? Or maybe I should just buy a stand alone CD player for my netbook because there have been times I really could have used a CD player.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
??? What file type is on the CD? Is it pictures, a video file, an application? If video, you might try VLC.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini,Ver.10.14.6, 3.6 GHz Intel Core i3, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB
They are images, probably .jpg.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
They might be JPGs, but these CDs usually have an application that runs to show you those images. If you can browse around on the CD and find the exact location of the JPGs or other image files, then you can load those in Preview..

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I tried downloaded the viewer with no luck. I can't any .jpg files on the cd. There are IM000001, IM000002, etc. It looks they are Unix executable files.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
My wife has a few of these CDs and they are not executable file, but rather binary files that are displayed by the various applications. It MIGHT be possible that they are BMP files, so you can try copying one of these IM000xx files to your Desktop and add (or replace) the extension to .bmp and see if that loads.

Otherwise, you'll have to use the application to load the images and that would require a Windows machine or VM..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
This is an old thread that just got revived (edit: by a spammer, now gone, I see), but it happens to be a subject I actually know something about. Assuming the CD was made using DICOM standards, then any software that can read DICOM media will work. Here's a free open-source DICOM viewer:
OsiriX for Mac | MacUpdate

Virtually everyone makes these discs in a DICOM-compatible format, but it's possible to run across one that uses a proprietary format that can only be read by the included software. If that's the case (again, unlikely these days), then you are out of luck.

Last edited:
Reaction score
DICOM CD unreadable by mac

This is an old thread that just got revived (edit: by a spammer, now gone, I see), but it happens to be a subject I actually know something about. Assuming the CD was made using DICOM standards, then any software that can read DICOM media will work. Here's a free open-source DICOM viewer:
OsiriX for Mac | MacUpdate

Virtually everyone makes these discs in a DICOM-compatible format, but it's possible to run across one that uses a proprietary format that can only be read by the included software. If that's the case (again, unlikely these days), then you are out of luck.

I have a mac 10.12.5 and just got a DICOM CD that says "PC Autoplay DICOM viewer." Every time I put in the CD, my mac says "the disk you inserted was not readable by this computer" with two options "ignore and eject" ... so frustrating. I have osirix lite open but nothing.

Disk utility cant recognize it either Any ideas on how to get it to read?

Thanks for your help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
What options do you have in OsiriX? File > Open, or anything else?

Reaction score
What options do you have in OsiriX? File > Open, or anything else?

Everything in osirix works. If I click import, the finder opens up but it doesnt show that there is a disc. When I put the disc in, my mac says that my computer cant read it. Attached is a screenshot for your reference. Screen Shot 2017-12-21 at 9.10.25 AM.jpg

Last edited:

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Everything in osirix works. If I click import, the finder opens up but it doesnt show that there is a disc. When I put the disc in, my mac says that my computer cant read it. Attached is a screenshot for your reference. View attachment 27627

Hi,

I have posted in fair detail about this issue elsewhere on these Forums.

The unreadability of your CD by OsiriX could have at least two explanations:

1. OsiriX Lite is free but very limited in its utility mainly, if not entirely, because the developers want you to purchase the hugely expensive OsiriX MD - which I have. (NB this is implied in your screenshot). But even then, I've come across the situation you describe, which leads to:

2. The DICOM CD has been specifically created with PC software and nothing but a PC-based DICOM viewer will open it. In fact, this is suggested by your various posts, e.g., PC Autoplay DICOM viewer.

If that is so, your only solution is to beg or borrow a PC, then download and install the free MicroDICOM Viewer (http://www.microdicom.com).

BTW, although a Google search of this software often claims a Mac version of MicroDICOM, I have never found this to be feasible. Believe me, I've tried.

I have to say that your situation is far from unique. I am regularly asked to review DICOM imaging and some hospitals, having never heard of Macintosh I suppose, burn PC-only CDs.

Hope this helps a bit.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
If you click Ignore, can you view the contents through Finder? What about if you can copy the files to you Mac?

Reaction score
If you click Ignore, can you view the contents through Finder? What about if you can copy the files to you Mac?

No, the finder doesnt show that there is even a CD in the drive. The disk utility sees the disk but can take no action on it. I tried to create a .dmg on the desktop from the disk utility, but nothing. Since it doesn't show up in the finder, there are no files to be had.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.