Yahoo Mail

Reaction score
Hi Gang --

Need a little help with Yahoo! mail on my new MacBook Pro. I have incoming IMAP working fine but outgoing SMTP is not. I know Yahoo! USED to require a Plus account to POP your mail but that they set-up IMAP for Mac mail users as of December 2011.

I let the Mac mail determine the set-up for Yahoo! itself, trying not to break the golden rule of letting Mac do what it knows how to do best without interference. When it didn't work I read all kinds of strings on it online (it has changed so many times, it seems.)

• I tried changing the port (currently it assigns to default ports 25, 485, 587 -- whichever is available, I guess.)
  • I've tried assigning a myriad of ports suggested online
  • I've tried with and without SSL
  • I've tried reading Yahoo!'s help sheet on it, which suggests setting it up yourself and holding the option key down while doing so to get the word create to change to continue (no idea why?)
  • I've tried deleting the email account and re-setting it up from scratch.
  • I called my ISP to make sure there wasn't a special string I needed to have typed in like "centurylink.smtp.mail.yahoo.com" (they said no -- but did confirm that they needed to remove a block from port 25 since it's often used by spammers -- they supposedly removed this, while I was on the phone)
  • I tried powering down my Ipad, in case of interference from one to the other.
Nothing worked. I still, I cannot get my outgoing mail to send. But my Ipad works just fine to retrieve and send email from Yahoo! I just got my new Mac on NYE and already I am frustrated beyond belief between this issue (and my error with Migration Assistant that is causing me much pain) I am losing too much valuable time for a switch that was essentially sold to me as plug and play.

Can someone please help me?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Is your outgoing set to att.net?

OP
N
Reaction score
No. I don't have AT & T. I have CenturyLink on my MacBook and Verizon on my iPad. Should I set it to AT &T?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
Have a look at this article
Mobile Mail Help | - SLN3361 - Setting up IMAP on your mobile device
From what I remember - it was just smtp.yahoo.com - with the proper port.
One interesting thing from the article - is if your yahoo ID is different from your yahoo mail address - then you have to use yahoo mail instead of your yahoo ID for credentials. (Mine is the same so I never encountered this)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
No. I don't have AT & T. I have CenturyLink on my MacBook and Verizon on my iPad. Should I set it to AT &T?

No it was an assumption on my part you had att. yahoo.com as mail.
But unless I am mistaken you have to change the outgoing server when going from POP3 to IMAP and you want IMAP for push mail.

OP
N
Reaction score
My outgoing is SMTP.mail.yahoo.com (auto-select ports 25, 465, 587 -- my ISP provider removed the block to those ports)
My incoming is IMAP.mail.yahoo.com (designated port 993)

I checked the box for SSL

Anybody have any OTHER ideas? I'm so annoyed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.