Keeping things clean

Reaction score
On my PC I regularly defragment the disk and run registry cleaner to keep Windows running efficiently.
On my MacBook Pro 17 inch, what steps should I be taking to clear out old inefficiencies to prevent the machine gradually grinding to a snail pace as would happen on Windows.
Richard

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
There is no registry in OS X - the primary cause of windows slow downs.

The only cleaning app recommended here is Onyx - free - and available here.
You should only need to use it when you begin to notice any slow downs - perhaps 3-6 times per year.

OS X does it's own defragging of files automatically and does a great job of it. For most, there will be no need of a defrag program. However, it does this by making use of the entire drive. Hence, there could be issues of not enough contiguous free space after you've had your computer for awhile.

For those that have 50-60% or more free space on their drive, they likely will never need to defrag OS X. Personally, I've found that by maintaining 35-40% free space, most will never notice slow downs that can be fixed by a defrag.

My wife has a 6 year old Mac that started at 10.4 and has gone through upgrades to 10.5, 10.6, 10.7 - has over 60% free space - uses Onyx about once a year - has never done a defrag.

OP
E
Reaction score
Thanks, Bob.
I sure have a few things to learn about the different structures.
Richard

C

chas_m

The biggest thing you need to learn is that you don't have to be the full-time manager of the OS. It will take care of itself for the most part. All you need to remember to do is keep a decent amount of free space available on the boot drive, make backups regularly, keep your software up-to-date and ... well really that's it. OnyX is optional and a good idea but not required for years of smooth operation.

OP
E
Reaction score
Thanks, Chas.
I suppose my real intent is to give myself a clear start because I have taken the laptop over from a close friend - otherwise I would never entertain a secondhand machine. I know that there was much deleted from the drive before I took the machine over.
You say "keep your software up to date" and I see that the machine still has 10.6.8 loaded, so I don't know whether to update to "lion" or "mountain Lion".
I am a light user - mainly surfing, mail, and word process, and photograph manipulation.
Richard

C

chas_m

If you can give us a little more information on the age and model number of the machine, we can advise you better.

OP
E
Reaction score
As far as I can see, it is a Macbook Pro 17" 5.2
Operating system is OSX 10.6.8
Serial W89195MX2QP
Core Duo 2.66 Ghz

I think it dates from 2010. The main use in its previous life was professional photographic

Hope that helps.
Richard

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
As far as I can see, it is a Macbook Pro 17" 5.2
Operating system is OSX 10.6.8
Serial W89195MX2QP
Core Duo 2.66 Ghz

I think it dates from 2010. The main use in its previous life was professional photographic

Hope that helps.
Richard

That is a sweet machine and will handle any of the newer OS versions. Depending on the amount of installed RAM you may want to bump it up, but given its previous history that may already have been done.

Before you decide to upgrade OS check to make sure any programs you are currently running are compatible with Lion (OS X 10.7) or Mtn Lion (OS X10.8).
But, IMO, if you are pleased with your setup as is, you have no pressing need to upgrade. Snow Leopard (OS X10.6.8) is still a fine and very capable OS.

EDIT: As far as the clean start, if you don't have a Snow Leopard OS disk, they are available from Apple for $20.

After backing up any files you want to keep, boot from the OS DVD, start Disk Utility and erase (reformat) the HD and reinstall the OS. Restore your files manually or with Migration Assistant and you are good to go.

OP
E
Reaction score
That is great advice. Thank you.
As the saying goes "....if it aint broke don't fix it".
Richard

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.