WD external drive

Reaction score
I have a WD My Passport for Mac attached to my Macbook (connected with the USB cable it came with) and have never had a problem with it. I recently disconnected the computer, external drive, etc. to move it to another location to work, where it was working fine. Then a couple of hours later I moved it again and hooked everything up the same way. When I turned the computer on, it did not see the Mac passport and it doesn't show under the devices list. Also, the Mac Passport external drive is beeping and the light is flashing. Can't figure out what to do. Can someone help? DanSP

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Try another USB cable and also plug it into another USB port on your MacBook to see if it makes a difference. The beeping and flashing light on the Passport probably indicates an error of some sort. Go to the WD site and see what you can find out about the beeping and flashing light. They might have a list of trouble shooting tips posted there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" i5 3.1GHz / 1TB HDD / 16GB RAM / Model 12.2 / Mavericks 10.9
That external drive has no power supply by itself, it is bus-powered, so if you connect it to a USB port that is not able to provide the required current, it doe not work.

I have a WD external drive (1TB Elements), and if I connect it to the un-powered USB port in my keyboard, it does not show up. If I connect it to my (powered) hub, it does....

Thymen

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.